Wednesday, March 23, 2005

A Different Terri Schiavo Perspective

From Attention Span, regarding his first love from Kindergarden, who spent 22 years in a coma before dying:

I often wonder what my friend was going through in those 22 years. Would she have preferred death? Should it matter if she did? Is it God's decision to take life or ours? I pray that God was able to do some incredible things for her during that time. I am positive he did not desert her.

A friend asked me about the Terri Schiavo case. He wanted to know why people wanted her to be starved to death, or why they wanted her dead, period. My best guess is that we see ourselves in the face of the less fortunate. In our limited understanding, all we see is a body driven by very little mind. We see that someone like Terri is not in control of anything; she is at the mercy of others. When many people see themselves in that situation, their reaction is fear. They fear living in a debilitated state. They fear not having control. They fear it so much that death seems preferable. And what an interesting choice that becomes for the non-believer. They would rather take the uncertainty of death over the observed certainty of living a life out of their control. Isn't that an amazing statement about the incredibly strong drive of self? But if a decision to remove a feeding tube becomes a personal fight to be able to retain control of one's life, it ceases to be about life itself. . . only about self. [emphasis added]

I've long found it odd that euthanasia is such a polarized conservative/liberal issue. I suppose that we cannot legalize it without the ugly ramifications that we see in the Netherlands, and other countries. But I am very sympathetic to the permanently severely disabled, such as complete paralegics, who might wish to end their lives. Without a doubt, if I were paralyzed from the neck down, without reasonable hope of recovery, or otherwise inflicted with an unameliorable disability such as Schiavo's, I would want to die, rather than simply exist without living. The total certaintly that many moral conservatives have on this issue -- the complete incomprehension of the opposing argument -- is baffling.

All of which is not to take any position on the Terri Schiavo case. As Bill Hobbs put it:

I have not written about the Terri Schiavo case because it is too complex, too multilayered, and too steeped in unknown or unknowable facts for me - indeed for most people - to have a fully informed opinion.

I don't know - and neither do you - if Michael Schiavo is trying to murder his wife or trying to fulfill her stated wishes for just such a scenario. I don't know what Terri Schiavo would want - and neither do you - because she didn't tell us via a living will. We have only the word of her husband who assures us that his wife once said she wouldn't want to be kept alive this way, and we have her parents, who love their daughter and desire only to care for her.

I do know that the Congress did the wrong thing, intervened where it had no Constitutional right, and solved nothing. [Hat tip: Instapundit]

Or better put, to follow the advice of Eugene Volokh: "I know nothing about the Schiavo matter, and despite that have no opinion."

10 comments:

rev-ed said...

Forgive my stupidity, but what exactly are you saying? It's kinda late and I'm not sure which comments apply to me. I certainly understand both sides of the argument, yet at the same time reject the idea that we have the right to end our own life. Christ did not guarantee us a life without pain, but He did promise to see us through those painful times. I would not want to live a debilitated life, but at the same time I would not consider that I might have the authority to end that life.

If you could point out to me what I wrote that would make you write these comments, I'd appreciate it.

John said...

Rev Ed, I hope that you don't feel slandered in any way. I'm not saying that you post supports my position. But you did have the insight that much of the Terri Shiavo debate consists of people emotionally projecting themselves into Terri's position.

So that's what I did in my own post. I do not support legal changes to support euthanasia, because they lead to awful consequences, such as involuntary euthanasia (murder) in the Netherlands.

You say that you "...reject the idea that we have the right to end our own life. Christ did not guarantee us a life without pain, but He did promise to see us through those painful times. I would not want to live a debilitated life, but at the same time I would not consider that I might have the authority to end that life." I like the idea, but think about what such a life would really be like. Can you imagine being strapped into a wheelchair, unable to feel below your neck for decades, unable to perform even the smallest function for the rest of your purposeless life? That's not living, that's existing. Even more so for the permanently brain dead or those forced to depend completely on life support. Yes, endure suffering for the cause of Christ. We are to endure persecution and even death for Him. But not all suffering is for Christ -- in fact, most is not.

For thousands of people, suffering from absolutely, irreconcilable, crippling disabilities isn't a soundbite and a picture on the TV. It doesn't last through a two hour movie on the subject. It goes on for decades. And it ends in death and reunion with Christ. I'm not right for the state to get involved in such decisions, or anyone else but that individual. But I feel great compassion for people who feel that they have suffered enough, and without any higher purpose. For them, this is not an abstract argument, but an endless reality.

rev-ed said...

OK, John, I think I understand you a bit better now. I've talked to a lot of people about this deal -- most of them unbelievers. Without exception, everyone came up with the line "If it was me. . . " I find it especially interesting that an unbeliever would choose the unknown (death) over the known (suffering).

Yes, I have imagined what it would be like to be confined in a wheelchair as a friend of mine is. Yes, I have imagined what my friend must have gone through for 22 years. Yes, I have discussed the "Why am I still here?" question with a lady 100 years old and in a nursing home. And I have great compassion for them, as you do.

However, I am reminded that Jesus told us He would never leave us or forsake us. I know His eye is still upon the Terri Schiavos of the world. And I know that He uses those situations to teach other people, as well as the pitied person.

The poor and destitute, the weak and invalid all have value to Him. Even though their live may not seem fair to you or me, I cannot see any instance to cross that line of taking life to give mercy when Christ has said, "My grace is sufficient."

Anonymous said...

I agree with rev-ed. I think his insights about control are very good. I don't know anyone who is paralyzed from the neck down, but to say that's not living could be construed as insulting to those who are paralyzed and feel they are leading full lives. The website Not Dead Yet, which advocates for people with disabilities, refutes the idea that most disabled people are depressed and wanting to die.
http://www.notdeadyet.org/docs/disqual.html

This is from the Archbishop of Canterbury, which I think briefly sums up the main points against euthanasia.

"Do I have a right to die? Religious believers answer for themselves that they do not. For a believer to say, “The time could come when I find myself in a situation that has no meaning, and I reserve the right to end my life in such a situation,” would be to say that there is some aspect of human life where God cannot break through. It would be to say that when I as an individual can no longer give meaning to my life, it has no value, and human dignity is best served by ending it.

That would be in the eyes of most traditional believers, Christian or otherwise, an admission that faith had failed. It would imply that life at a certain level of suffering or incapacity simply could no longer be lived in relation to God...."
http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/sermons_speeches/050120.html

John said...

I wouldn't say that anyone who is paralyzed from the neck down has lost his claim to life and is effectively dead. If a person can be happy under those circumstances, bless them. But those who cannot endure such suffering should have our compassion.

Is there no right to end one's own life? Before anyone says that euthanasia is unChristian, I'd like to see some Scriptures to support that argument.

rev-ed said...

Well, John, out of the suicides I see in Scripture, I don't see God's stamp of approval on any of them. Granted, there are no cases of comatose people to work with. :-)

Perhaps the impetus is on you to prove that a person has the right to choose when he is to die instead of leaving it in the hands of the Almighty. I cannot think of any scriptural support for such an idea.

Anonymous said...

I agree we should compassion for those who suffer, but I don't think that means letting them commit suicide without doing all we can to help.

Regarding Scripture, the Bible does not specifically prohibit abortion either. I think that first shows up in The Didache. But Christians interpret Scripture in such a way that the value of life, whether in the womb or the life of a disabled person or whoever, is not based on their size or cognitive ability but on their being a beloved child of God. The Church (through history, Catholic and then Protestants both) has never advocated abortion or euthanasia - until certain mainline Protestant groups have recently, which should tell us something about the state of our own churches.
See also: http://www.christianitytoday.com/history/newsletter/2003/oct31.html

John said...

Jennifer, Ed, thanks for the great conversation.

I don't have any Scriptures to support suicide under even extreme circumstances (the only ones that are worthy of consideration, to clarify). I suppose that I'm emoting, rather than reasoning here. I just know that I, personally, could reach a limit beyond which I could not endure. Extreme, crippling afflictions would count. And I do mean extreme. Life in prison without parole would be another.

I know that I should have the faith to endure such horrendous events. But I don't. I'm a flawed Christian, and perhaps stronger people could still sing praises to God under such circumstances. I am not among them in my current stage in my walk with God.

rev-ed said...

It's an emotional issue, John. It's understandable that emotions would pour out. We live in a world that isn't fair. Job and his friends saw it long ago. A friend described a scene from a missions trip where they went to visit children who live in a landfill, eating whatever is discarded from the poor streets of town. A man lives in a wheelchair unable to move anything but his eyes. And then there's Donald Trump...

We should have compassion on the less fortunate. We should help them. But there's a line I cannot see having permission to cross. If I were lying there like my friend for 22 years I'm sure I'd want to die. Yet I wouldn't dare take that upon myself.

I have been in on decisions to pull life support. I don't have a problem with that. Food and water are quite another matter, IMO.

All in all, I respect the precious gift of life and allow God to be the arbiter of its duration. To paraphrase Steven Wright, "I don't know when I'm going to die because my birth certificate doesn't have an expiration date."

Anonymous said...

Thank you too. We are all flawed Christians, but the way I try to handle thinking of great suffering is that hopefully we don't have to rely on our sense of what we could endure, because we have our fellow Christians to care for us, to comfort us, to provide resources we might need, etc. I don't think I could get through any terrible situation on my own, even if I did have a strong relationship with God, because the Christian walk isn't just God and me, but the whole body of Christ. That's the way I try to see it anyway.