Friday, March 25, 2005

Hijacking the Reformation

I am definately the voice of ignorance here, so I ask that commenters illuminate me regarding this post, since I only have a vague understanding of what I'm writing here.

It strikes me that Calvinists can be a tad possessive of the Protestant Reformation. There are such obvious signs, such as renaming Calvinism "Reformed Theology" or "Reformation Theology", as though other thinkers such as Luther or Jacob Harmensen (Arminus) were minor figures at best.

Coming from a Wesleyan/Arminian perspective, I find this phenomenon disturbing. Less disturbing, but still odd, is the passion that 'Reformed' Christians have for Calvinism. I mean, I identify as a Christian and as an evangelical, but I don't get all whooped up over Arminianism. I certainly haven't started a blog alliance for Arminian bloggers. The focus of Calvinists to self-identify strongly as Calvinists is mystifying.

Readers, am I on the right track here? Let me know.

6 comments:

rev-ed said...

Disturbing? No. Odd? Perhaps.

Like you, I come from an Wesleyan/Arminian position, and although I greatly respect the work of John Calvin, I do disagree with some of his tenets.

Trying to remember my church history, but it seems that Calvinism was the popular interpretation until Arminius challenged. . .

I'll have to look it up after I get through this weekend.

Scott Cheatham said...

I wouldn't say disturbing...*S* I'm also from the Arminian Camp. (Free Will Baptist) and am alarmed when Calvinists identify themselves in the way you've explained.

And like you I don't get too caught up in it with people who wish to argue. I tell them "If you're doing what you're supposed to, you have nothing to worry about".

Keep the faith brother

John said...

It's the passion that Calvinists have for their particular flavor of Protestantism that I find puzzling. Although it's not there yet, it could lead to divisions with the Body of Christ over theological hair-splitting.

Anonymous said...

The relationship between Whitefield and Wesley shows how strong this attitude was among early Methodists! Pete.

Jeff the Baptist said...

I'm in theological no-mans land on this one. I'm not a five point Calvinist, but I can't reconcile strict Arminianism either. In any case, I do think "reformed" theology is probably a bad word for Calvinism.

Have you looked at the Reformed Blogroll Statement of Faith? I couldn't agree with it entirely so I didn't join, but it isn't necessarily Calvinist to my recollection.

Jeff the Baptist said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.