Tuesday, March 01, 2005

The TNIV is a Great Translation

After looking at both sides of the controversy, I can only conclude that the TNIV translation is an outstanding contribution to the body of English translations of the Bible, and definately a scholarly work worthy of study in seminaries and churches. Here's a sample of the fine language from Matthew 8:5-13:

5 And when Jesus and his posse went on a road trip to Newark, a cop muscled into the crowd

6and said, "Yo, J.C.! I read on your blog about that bada** magic you been doin'. I got me this Mexican housekeeper at my crib whose sick, and she can't go the doctor because she don't have no green card, so help me out, G. And bring a cold six, too."

7Jesus replied, "Lead on, bro. I got the touch."

8But the cop shook his head and said, "Sheee* man, my place is a wreck. Ain't fit for no celebrity like you. Just do yo thang from here, man.

9For I'm a boss, too. When I crack heads, folks know to call me 'sir' and respect my authori-tay."

10When Jesus heard the cop, he gasped out, "Ka-ching, man! I ain't heard such PH phatness in all of Jersey!

11I tell you, many will come from the East Coast to the West Coast and party at the table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the Crib of God.

12but the sons of the crib will be cast into the Red States, and in that place, there will be tanking and burnout.

13And Jesus said to the pig, "Get your *** out of here! That chica is better now." And the Mexican was healed right then.

Wasn't that lovely? The sheer poetry of the TNIV is so supple, so fresh for the 21st Century mind. Why on earth anyone would oppose the introduction of this clearly scholarly translation of the Bible simply mystifies me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hysterical!