Friday, April 01, 2005

The Fine Art of Church Shopping

Rev. Ed has an interesting post on church shopping:

So is this the answer? Is this what "just looking" actually means? Are church shoppers looking for the "right" class of people, a professional musical presentation, programs for "cool" youth, an exciting sermon and a lifestyle fit? What happened to the idea that you go to a church to serve and worship God? Why have we made Sunday morning all about pleasing US? Am I nuts here? What am I missing?

Read the whole thing. As John Wilks notes in the comments, this attitude is reflective of consumer 'me'-focused culture. Not 'how can I serve God?' but 'how can God serve me?'.

Also, read Ron Benson's humor piece on church shopping.

1 comment:

rev-ed said...

The Benson piece is hysterical, but at least he freely admits that it's all in the name of selfishness. Sometimes I think we're better off if we're forced to attend the nearest church to our front door and learn to love one another like that wandering prophet told us to do.

Thanks for the link. Hope the conversation continues!