Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Methodist Blogger Profile: Jay Voorhees

Jay Voorhees of Only Wonder Understands and MethoBlog.
Background
I am the pastor of the Antioch United Methodist Church, located in the southern suburbs of Nashville. Antioch UMC is a 300 member congregation that averages around 180 at Sunday morning worship. It is a traditional United Methodist congregation that is around 114 years old, which finds itself in the middle of a community that is rapidly changing.
I have a BA from Western Kentucky University and an M.Div. from the Candler School of Theology at Emory University.
Prior to entering seminary, I was on staff at United Methodist Communications and served as the Producer of the General Conference for several quadrennia.
I am married to the Rev. Kay Hereford Voorhees, who is on the staff of the West End United Methodist Church. We have two daughters.
Why do you blog?
My original impetus for blogging was to hold myself accountable for journaling. I was a lousy journal keeper (Wesley would have frowned). My thought was that having a public journal would hold me accountable for writing, something I have found to be true (especially as my readership has grown). I blog now because I am in a relationship with my readers and have things I feel led to share.
What has been your best blogging experience?
I think the best experience was when I was doing an interview on the Church of Fools with the religion editor of the New York Times. We were talking about the church and technology when all of the sudden he said: "You are the Jay Voorhees who writes the blog, right?" It turns out that he had read my blog several times, which blew my mind.
What would be your main blogging advice to a novice blogger?
Post regularly and don't worry about how many folks read you. If you are saying something worthwhile, folks will begin to check you out.
If you only had time to read three blogs a day, what would they be?
That's hard, because my Bloglines list has well over a hundred blogs I scan regularly. The three I probably read first are Jen Lemen, Jordon Cooper; and Bob Carlton. As for political blogs, I usually check out Talking Points Memo.
Who are your spiritual heroes?
Well, of course, I have to mention Jesus, don't I? John Wesley holds a big spot as well, even though he had some strange edges. Bill Lane, the late New Testament scholar was formative for me when I was in college. Brian McLaren is currently a friend, colleague, and mentor in ministry. There are a bunch of bishops as well, but I don't want to name them all.
What are you reading at the moment?
The Practicing Congregation by Diana Butler Bass (y'all need to get it).
What is your favorite hymn and why?
Amazing Grace . . . it's simple and expresses my story well.
Can you name a major moral, political or intellectual issue on which you've ever changed your mind?
As a former fundamentalist Southern Baptist there are too many to name. Growth and change happen, especially with age, so I would hope that we all would be able to point to places where our understanding has grown.
What philosophical thesis do you think is most important to combat?
Individualism and consumerism. These are the ethical challenges that put our society most at risk.
If you could effect one major policy change in the governing of your country, what would it be?
Oy Vey! I can't come up with a concise policy change, but something has got to give regarding the climate of polarization in Washington. We are quickly coming to a point of no return where it will be impossible to govern, and may find ourselves bordering on a civil cold war if we aren't careful.
If you could effect one major policy change in the Methodist Church, what would it be?
I believe that it's time to limit the submission of legislation to the General Conference to allow the Conference to function more as a deliberative body rather than a legislative one. As long as we try to be church by legislation, we will be co-opted by powers and principalities.
What would be your most important piece of advice about life?
Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in his wonderful face. And the things of life will grow strangely dim, in the light of his glory and grace.
What, if anything, do you worry about?
My children's future.
If you were to relive your life to this point, is there anything you'd do differently?
Too many things to mention (I was pretty stupid in my twenties). Yet, if I'm honest, all those mistakes led me to be who I am today, so maybe I wouldn't change a thing.
Where would you most like to live (other than where you do)?
Toronto, except it's too cold. Amsterdam is pretty nice.
What do you like doing in your spare time?
I'm a Methodist preacher who blogs . . . do I have any spare time?
What is your most treasured possession?
My children (well actually, I don't own them do I?). Or maybe my guitar.
What talent would you most like to have?
To play like Jimi Hendrix
If you could have any three guests, past or present, to dinner who would they be?
Jesus, Luther (he was a good beer drinker), and Doug Pagitt.

No comments: