Saturday, June 25, 2005

Methodist Blogger Profile: Grandma Jean

Grandma Jean of Grandma Jean's Opinions

I have five children and seven grandchildren. I am pastor to a two-point rural charge in West Virginia. That’s all I’m going to tell you. Don’t want to blow my cover.

Why do you blog?
I like having a place to put my opinions out before the world, and I like reading others blogs, especially bloggers giving the lowdown on Iraq.

What has been your best blogging experience?
Typing my “grandmajeansopinions” into Google and having it come up. Thanks to all you who have linked to me, starting with “guyinpajamas.”

What would be your main advice to a novice blogger?
Be brief, post frequently, have something to say, use proper grammar and spelling.

If you only had time to read three blogs a day, what would they be?

Who are your spiritual heroes?
Jesus Christ, John Wesley, and Jerry Flora.

What are you reading at the moment?
The Elegant Universe, Brian Green; Shadow Divers, Robert Kurson; Gospel Code, Ben Witherington III; Flame of Love: a theology of the Holy Spirit, Clark Pinnock; Smouldering Fire, D. E. Stevenson; Eastern Orthodox Theology, Clendenin; History of the Reformation in Scotland, John Knox; Treatise on Religious Affections, Jonathan Edwards; rereading Christianity and Liberalism, Gresham Machen; The God Who Risks, John Sanders.

What is your favorite hymn and why?
And Can It Be

Can you name a major moral, political, or intellectual issue on which you've changed your mind?
Abortion: because of the widespread abuse of abortion as birth control, I am no longer pro-choice.

What philosophical thesis do you think is most important to combat?
I don’t waste my time on stuff like that.

If you could affect one major change in the governing of your country, what would it be?
The widespread attitude that freedom OF religion means freedom FROM religion.

If you could affect one major policy change in the United Methodist Church , what would it be?
Mandatory retirement at age 70.

What would be your most important piece of advice about life?
Put God first. Everything else will fall into place.

What, if anything, do you worry about?
What, me worry?

If you were to relive your life to this point, is there anything that you'd do differently?
Nothing that I want to tell the world about.

Where would you most like to live (other than where you do now)?
I live in the best place there is, already.

What do you like doing in your spare time?
Read, quilt, play guitar.

What is your most treasured possession?
I don’t treasure possessions, but I really like Internet access.

What talent would you most like to have?
Preach really well.

If you could have any three guests, past or present to dinner, who would they be?
???
UPDATE: Links to Jean's favorite blogs added.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

erm .. isn't retirement at 70 mandatory in UMC?

Here it's 65 and good that it is. Retired pastors etc can be asked to help - they can also say no - and I think that's great :)

Anonymous said...

I'm another admirer of Dr. Jerry Flora. A wonderful spiritual mentor at ATS.

Tom Shepherd, WV