Monday, July 18, 2005

Methodist Blogger Profile: Jonathan Norman

Posted by Picasa

Jonathon Norman of the Phaith of Saint Phransus

I have lived in Tennessee all my life- and Nashville most of my life. I didn’t grow up going to church but began attending a United Methodist church when I was in middle school. I became active in the life of Dalewood UMC through the youth group, fell in love with one of the girls in the youth group and never left the church after that. I dated Jennifer (the girl in the youth group) all through high school, college and we got married right after college and how have 2 beautiful children- Jonas, 3 and Abby, 9 months.

I attended Middle Tennessee State University where I studied Philosophy with a minor in Religious Studies. I am now working on a Masters in Theological Studies at Trevecca Nazarene University. I’ve been a youth pastor for 11 years now and am currently in the candidacy process to become a licensed local pastor. I absolutely love youth ministry.

Why do you blog?
I blog mainly because I love to write, and for me- blogging is a spiritual practice, a lot like journaling. Plus, it helps me get my ideas out and wrestle with what I think.

What has been your best blogging experience?
My best blogging experience was my interview with theologian James K.A. Smith. Smith is the author of “Introducing Radical Orthodoxy” which is a book I’m reading that is having a big impact on my thinking. The interview went great and I discovered that he also blogs. So we’ve developed a pseudo friendship now.

What would be your main advice to a novice blogger?
Keep writing until you find your voice. Once you do, look for others to network with. My favorite part of blogging has been the small community of friends I’ve made that all visit one another’s blog.

If you only had time to read three blogs a day, what would they be?
1. Gavin Richardson’s http://www.gavoweb.blogs.com/
2. Jonny Baker’s http://jonnybaker.blogs.com/jonnybaker/
3. Jay Voorhees’ http://onlywonder.com/wordpress/

Who are your spiritual heroes?
1. Saint Francis (duh, go figure)
2. St. Benedict
3. Oscar Romero

What are you reading at the moment?
At the moment I am reading, not completely by choice although it’s good, Introducing Radical Orthodoxy by James K.A. Smith, Radical Orthodoxy by John Milbank and others, and then by choice- Another City by Barry Harvey

What is your favorite hymn and why?
“Jesu, Jesu”, 432 in the UM Hymnal. It’s a really cool folk song from Ghana. I love the lyrics and the melody.

Can you name a major moral, political, or philosophical issue on which you've changed your mind?
I have actually changed my mind twice on the issue of abortion. During college as my theology and politics began to shift I went from being pro-life to pro-choice. I also moved from supporting the death penalty to not supporting the death penalty. Since then I have adopted a pro-life stance: pro life that means that I believe ALL LIFE is sacred. For me pro life is inconsistent unless it opposes: 1. abortion, 2. capital punishment, 3. war.

What philosophical thesis do you think is most important to combat?
I think in our culture- the idea that “it’s all about me”/ie individualism is a HUGE problem that must be addressed by the church, and responded to. An affect of individualism is that Christians tend to see our relationship with Jesus as personal rather than communal (it’s just me and Jesus). I won’t go into specifics here, but both conservative and liberal Christians suffer theologically from individualist theology. If we take the Trinity seriously then we take serious that God is communal in nature

If you could affect one major change in the governing of your country, what would it be?
At this point, being the very impractical person that I am, I would find a way to create a level playing field for 3rd party candidates- whether green or libertarian, etc… Democrats and Republicans have taken us for granted for two long and their arguments and squabbles tire me.

If you could affect one major policy change in the United Methodist Church, what would it be?
I would like to see Bishops able to move across jurisdictional boundaries. I think our conferences and bishops have missed out on some wonderful potential “good fits” for ministry because we only allow bishops to move within a certain geographical area. Although, I’m still holding out that Bishop Willimon might make it to Tennessee next go around.

What would be your most important piece of advice about life?
When it comes to others- take life seriously; when it comes to yourself- don’t take it too seriously. I’m a pretty serious person who acts way to silly; although some would say that I am a pretty silly person who acts way too serious. Go figure.

What, if anything, do you worry about?
Paying bills on time, being a good dad and husband, and the violence in our world.

If you were to relive your life to this point, is there anything that you'd do differently?
I married my high school sweetheart, I have 2 extremely cute and loving kids, and I love what I do presently- hmmmm… Nope. I fear if I were to relive something it would be like “Back to the Future” and all of a sudden the faces of people I love are disappearing from family photos. That’s scary stuff.

Where would you most like to live (other than where you do now)?
Easy- I’d live in either Savannah Georgia, or Charleston SC. I love the southern charm of both cities. Every time I see a youth pastor position open in one of the cities I kind of get teary eyed thinking, “wouldn’t that be nice”.

What do you like doing in your spare time?
I would say that I enjoy writing (which I actually do immensely) but grad school has sucked the fun out of it... (not really, but my procrastination certainly has). But I also enjoy road trips with Jen, Jonas and Abby, hanging out in coffee shops with Gavin, reading fairly dry theology, and songwriting.

What is your most treasured possession?
Well, I don’t really consider my kids, Jonas and Abby, possessions- but they are what I treasure the most. But if it must be a possession, I suppose it would be my laptop since I depend on it for work, play and communication.

What talent would you most like to have?
Quick wit, and the ability to create ice cream socials all over the country where liberals and conservative Christians would sit, eat, and lick ice cream cones in joyful merriment, talking doctrine and theology while laughing and commenting on how good the chocolate chip ice cream is.

If you could have three guests, past or present, to dinner, who would they be?
1. Stanley Hauerwas (he would be fun as all get out to hang out with, especially with Soren in the room)
2. Soren Kierkegaard (I hear he was the life of the party back in the day)
3. Socrates (I think he’d keep the conversation going with all his questions)Now, that’s one kickin’ dinner party with some rich theological /ethical conversation, eh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so does this stuff just float around on the internet forever?...eerie

Anonymous said...

If you love your wife and children so much - why are you cheating on her with a 20 year old hussy? Is that a Christian practice?