Monday, August 01, 2005

Methodist Blogger Profile: Gregory Lee

Posted by Picasa

Gregory Lee of Imagine

I am a bivocational pastor living in Valdosta, GA, and pastoring two small Methodist churches as a part-time local pastor. I have been married for almost 15 years, and have one daughter. In my secular job, I am a certified wildlife biologist and serve as the chief of natural resources for Moody Air Force Base. I recognized my call into the ministry in 1999 as a result of a small group Bible study, "Experiencing God," and through my friends at church. This was later affirmed through Promise Keepers and the Walk to Emmaus community. I started in the Candidacy Program in the Methodist Church and was appointed to a two-point charge in June, 2000, first as a lay pastor and then as a part-time local pastor. I just started my sixth year in pastoral ministry. I have not been to seminary, but attend Course of Study for Local Pastors at Emory University every summer to obtain the educational requirements for pastors by the Methodist Church.

Why do you blog?
I enjoy the freedom of being able to put my sermons, thoughts, and perspectives on a variety of issues down in a forum where others can read them and interact with them. For me, blogging is a type of on-line spiritual journaling, where I have the freedom to express my thoughts in a creative way while at the same time learning from the comments and perspectives of others in the blogging community.

What has been your best blogging experience?
I never know if anyone is reading my blog or not. So, when I received a comment from a reader in Kenya who said they appreciated a sermon I posted, I was blown away -- not only because someone actually read my blog -- but when I realized that God's Word, preached to two small churches in south Georgia, had actually gone out and impacted someone on the other side of the world!

What would be your main advice to a novice blogger?
Jump in and hang on! Seriously, blogging is the easiest thing in the world to do. Just post from your heart, don't worry if anyone is reading, and have fun! To paraphrase from a song, "blog as if no one is watching!"

If you only had time to read three blogs a day, what would they be?
The three I read on a regular basis are: 1) The Wesley Blog -- Excellent perspectives on current issues in Methodism; 2) Locusts and Honey -- Especially love the weekly blogging round-up and the insightful thoughts; and 3) World Magazine Blog -- Great way to get a Christian perspective on breaking news of the day

Who are your spiritual heroes?
Christ, of course, would be my greatest hero. But, other spiritual giants I admire are the Apostle Paul, John Wesley, Billy Graham, Corrie ten Boom, and George Mueller

What are you reading at the moment?
Fiction: White by Ted Dekker
Non-fiction: The Savior Next Door by Max Lucado and Brokenness by Len Solomon (just finished a great book last week I want to promote -- "New Life for Dying Churches" by Dr. Rose Sims, a retired Methodist pastor)

What is your favorite hymn and why?
Holy, Holy, Holy -- At a Promise Keeper's Rally, I watched the sun rise over a stadium as 50,000 men joined voices acapello to sing this hymn and praise God. Everytime we sing it in church, I experience that moment again and it ushers me right into the presence of God.

Can you name a major moral, political, or intellectual issue on which you've changed your mind?
While my overall position on the major issues of today, including homosexuality, abortion, and same sex marriages, has not changed, I believe I have become less harsh towards proponents. As I have grown in Christ, I have learned to love the sinner more and hate the sin more.

What philosophical thesis do you think is most important to combat?
Liberal theology where the deity of Christ is denied.

If you could affect one major policy change in the governing of your country, what would it be?
Misconceptions of the doctrine of the separation of church and state.

If you could affect one major policy change in the United Methodist Church, what would it be?
Increase in membership of laity on District and Conference Board of Ministries.

What would be your most important piece of advice about life?
Enjoy life and don't worry about what other might think.

What, if anything, do you worry about?
Sadly, what others might think.

If you were to relive your life to this point, is there anything that you'd do differently?
Of course. There are major sins in my life that I regret every day and that I would not do again. Also, I'd pray more and love more and enjoy life more.

Where would you most like to live (other than where you do now)?
Alaska

What do you like doing in your spare time?
What's spare time? Seriously, I enjoy listening to music and reading, watching college football, and hunting and fishing on rare occasions.

What is your most treasured possession?
My wife

What talent would you most like to have?
I would like to be more outgoing in social situations

If you could have any three guests, past or present, to dinner, who would they be?
Jesus, of course, would be first, but that's kind of a given. My second, third, and fourth choices would be: the Apostle Paul, C.S. Lewis, and Corrie ten Boom

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg,
Mama and I enjoy your blog and especially learning more about you. You are a special person, like no other, and we are certainly blessed to have you as our pastor and friend.

Sandy & Betty

Unknown said...

I was browsing the Internet the other day and came across Gregory Lee's sermon on The Name Above All Names. In reading through it I thought it was a good sermon except for one minor detail. In the paragraph concerning Tim Tebow the pastor states that Tim had John 3:16 on the black strips under his eyes. I believe if you check you will find that the inscription was Phil 4:13 which states that "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."
Laus Deo
Robert Todd
elcid2k@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Greg,

I was googling Dr Rose Sims as I had recorded her presentation on video when she visited Australia back in 1990.

If it is of interest, you can view the recording of her presentation at http://www.vimeo.com/13612463

Andrew Smith
Brisbane, Australia.

Anonymous said...

Pastor Greg,
Thank you for letting us have a glimpse into who you are. I googled you after reading your sermon online about the Lord's prayer and temptayion. This sermon was great. You have a gift for taking lofty terms and braking them down for the everyday person.