Tuesday, August 02, 2005

One-Year Bible Reading

Posted by Picasa

After I became a Christian, I began hungrily consuming the Word. My best tool for this purpose was a one-year Bible, which divided the Bible into 365 daily readings. Currently, I use the Tyndale One Year Chronological Bible pictured above. Of all of the chronological one-year Bibles that I have examined, its divisions are the most sensible. Other one-year Bibles divide up the Scriptures unevenly, with some days assigned a one-page reading and others a five-page reading.

I have been using the chronological approach since I wanted to gain a standard of Biblical literacy and jumping back and forth in time would result in confusion. However, after taking a Biblical literacy test, I found that although I had the chronology of Biblical history down pat, I often could not differentiate between prophetic voices of the same time period. So for my next Bible reading cycle in January, I'm going to use a more staightforward approach which moves through the Bible in the traditional order in which the books are arranged.

Jeff the Baptist has related thoughts.

No comments: