Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Interview: Rev. Troy Plummer of Reconciling Ministries Network

Posted by Picasa

Rev. Troy Plummer is the director of Reconciling Ministries Network, a pro-gay organization that advocates accommodation for homosexuality and transgenderism within the United Methodist Church. RMN recently concluded its Hearts of Fire conference at Lake Junaluska. Rev. Plummer graciously agreed to answer our questions about this event.

Tell us about the protestors at Lake Junaluska.

There were about 12 persons from the KKK protesting Hearts on Fire. They set up two tents and two signs and sat. Also a few anti-clan or pro-Hearts on Fire protestors showed up. Hearts on Fire discouraged all protestors on our behalf. If insistent, pro-protestors were instructed in our dedication to nonengagement with anti-protestors and also our history of protest by prayer (kneeling or standing) and singing "What Does the Lord Require of You?"

Mark Tooley of UM Action has accused your ministry of advocating polyamory. How do you respond?

RMN affirms fidelity in covenant relationships. RMN's gay marriage resource assumes monogamy and faithfulness. RMN does not advocate for polyamory. One forum at Hearts on Fire addressed the current issues surrounding civil marriage equality.

Did any "exotic sexual activities" take place?

Nothing exotic, just passionate worship, bible study, great preaching, and a keynote by Bishop Wilke which included affirmation of all couples living in faithful covenant relationships.

Conservative Methodists accuse you and other gay activists of driving the UMC into schism. Isn't that the likely result of further efforts at inclusion for homosexuals?

Convicted by the Holy Spirit's presence in same-gender families and blessing of gay and lesbian clergy, RMN seeks to catch up with what the Spirit is already doing. Our Bible Study on Acts at Hearts on Fire emphasized the Spirit's work. Schism is fueled by the inablity to focus on essentials and to see through to the heart in each other and as Wesley encourage us to let go of the non-essentials and join hands in ministry together. RMN affirms the Wesleyan tradition to stay with our heart on the essentials. We are United Methodists of all sexual orientations and gender identities making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. We believe there is room at the foot of the cross for all of us.

UPDATE: Dean Snyder has an evaluation of the IRD's reporting of the Hearts of Fire convocation.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, Is it hard to interview someone like Rev. Plummer Who sure seems to remind me of the false teachers that Paul is constantly warning about. It would be hard for me to remain respectful.

Anonymous said...

Troy ... if as you state, there is "room at the foot of the cross for all of us," then how do you justify your attempt to undermine the ministry of Transforming Congregations by the comments (mostly false) that you made about us in "The Mountaineer" local Junaluska newspaper?

Aren't those who sincerely want freedom from homosexuality and transgender confusion owed the same respect and welcome that you claim for RMN folk?

Gord said...

Ummm, what exactly is "freedom from homosexuality"? Does it mean helping people who are struggling with understanding what their orientation is (a process we all have to do in some way at some level) or does it mean "healing"?

SExual orientation IS, it isn't something to seek freedom from. It is something to learn to live with. IF seeking freedom from something involves some of the so-called healing ministries I have read about then the church should distance itself from it--some of them are downright abusive. OTOH, those who are struggilng with questions of identity should find a place in the church, but my hunch is that they will only find a place in a church which is willing to accept them whichever conclusion they come to.

Andy B. said...

Dear Gord,
Psst... Don't you know? It is freedom from that oppressive "agenda."
You know, the "gay agenda." Don't tell anyone, but apparently they want us all to turn gay, and they won't stop until we are. I for one am not going to take it lying down ... so to speak.
Staying Straight,
Andy B.

Anonymous said...

Gord and Andy ... again ... Aren't those who sincerely want freedom from homosexuality and transgender confusion owed the same respect and welcome that you claim for RMN folk?

Apparently not from you two.

Gord said...

You misunderstnad me. Certainly they do-- but my suspicion is based on the number of people who use that expression referring not to an attempt to assist someone undergoing honest identity confusion but rather to "cure" them from the "illness" of homosexuality. Homosexuality is not an illness (I also do not describe it as a sin). Idetnity confusion is a dis-ease for sure but we need to be clear what we are offering. For me the welcome is in allowing peoplle thte space and support for the sturggle, not in pre-ordaining what the answer will/should be.

If I were struggling with understandind/assessing my sexual orientation (as indeed I have done so) I doubt i would go anywhere near a place that offered to cure me of my orientation. For that matter, I doubt I would go anywhere that was trying to force me one way or another (homo-, bi-, or hetero- sexual). I would seek the place hwere my eventual decisoion would be accepted and supported.

Most of the people I know within my denomination (UCCan) who are supportivbe of same-sex inclusion would also welcome those in struggle. Most of us aloso refuse to accept people trying to cure homosexuality.

John said...

Gord,

On what basis can you be sure that sexual orientation just "is." How do you know that it isn't static? What do you do with the accounts of people who say God has changed our orientation?

I have yet to read Karen call homosexuality an "illness." I have never described it as such myself, nor have most who take the transforming position.

The God of the Bible calls people to a total transformation. Why is it so hard to imagine that orientation might be part of that change?

Gord said...

JOhn,
"I have yet to read Karen call homosexuality an "illness." I have never described it as such myself, nor have most who take the transforming position."

In my context I regularly have a colleague who, while not using that word, calls homosexuality an illness. Anything he sends me regarding this transformational ministry makes it clear that it is an illness (in that there is something wrong with you that needs to change). FWIW I can easily describe sin as an illness.

"The God of the Bible calls people to a total transformation. Why is it so hard to imagine that orientation might be part of that change?"

Nothing. And I have no problem with the church aiding people as they struggle with their orientation/self-understanding. I do have a major issue with people doing, in the name of God, what the Psychiatric and Psycholgic professions have declared to be probably harmful--attempting to change one's orientation. Much of what I have seen (and sometimes on both sides of the issue) is people assume what the answer is and try to push people into that box. That is not the way of the church. THat is why my first post started with the questions it did. How you answer them determines whether or not I see a place for that ministry in CHrist's body. (Maybe I would have avoided confusion if I had not tried to explain my point further in that post.)

My take is that sexual orientation is far grayyer than a simple gay/straight issue. And if it is on a continuum then it is entirely possible that a person who does not find oneself at an extreme end may over time act out a different part of their orientation. DOes this mean that their orientation changes or their behaviour?

Andy B. said...

Karen,
I'm sorry about the disrespectfulness of my earlier comment. I hope you forgive me.
I tend to use humor at inappropriate times. This must have been one of them.
Seriously,
Andy B.

Anonymous said...

Oh Andy, I forgive you. It's just that I am weary of the so-called "dialog," especially in light of the hypocrisy, disrespect and arrogance of many on the pro-gay side. Makes me a bit "tetchy" about it, I guess.

For those who would like to read what I really think about the whole Junaluska "event," you can check out our ministry website - www.transformingcong.org

Follow the links from the homepage.

Karen

John said...

Dean,

My wife has Cerebral Palsy and has limited use of her right arm and right leg. One of my mentors in the ministry also has CP and is wheelchair bound. I have talked the very issue you raise with both of them.

And they both responded that yes, there is a certain similarity in how those with disabilities are treated and how gays are treated.

But they both also say that just because they were born with CP does not make CP God's will for them and that a primary task in their Christian walks (and my friend Rob in the wheelchair insists on that language- for Christ is the only one whom he walks with) is to overcome by faith that which they did not choose and cannot change in and of themselves.

My friends with chemical dependancy would say the same.

As would I in my struggles with orientation when I was a teen.

Overcoming does not mean a "cure" and may not even mean the total disapperance of the trait or tendancy or limitation. But it means trusting in God that what seems impossible to us is possible in God's hand. Sometimes God transforms by changing someone's physical or inner reality. And sometimes God heals by giving people the faith and hope and strength to love the life God calls holy even when everything inside that person wants and craves and is wired for some other way. But in both circumstances it is the power of God to help us become what He calls us to be- no matter how diferent that calling looks than the way we are born.