Saturday, October 08, 2005

Methodist Blogger Profile: Brett Royal

Brett Royal of Sunday School Thoughts

Why do you blog?
I started a blog to record my thoughts about our Sunday School Class. I thought it would be good for people in the class to read and post comments. Not many from my class actively visit the site, but I found that it does help me collect and organize my thoughts a little bit. I still post things for the class, but my posts are now intended for a wider audience.

What has been your best blogging experience?
I stumbled across sitemeter.com and saw that I actually have people reading my posts.

What would be your main advice to a novice blogger?
There are probably very few who are more amateur than I am. I think I tend to put way too much information into my posts sometimes. After looking at some of the other Methodist Blogs, I have found that the ones that have the most comments are usually the ones that are short and to the point. I am going to work on that. I want comments and discussion.
One other thing: Don’t blog at work. If you’re a Christian it’s a bad witness and is stealing time from your employer. If you are not a Christian, it’s stealing from your employer. I know that in my office the internet activity is actively monitored, and they know who is working and who is playing (that really shouldn’t make a difference). Don’t let blogging consume you; I can see how it can be addicting.

If you only had time to read three blogs a day, what would they be?
I don’t read blogs just to read blogs. If I come across one, it’s usually through a Google search. That being said, I do enjoy wesleyblog.com. When I have time (not from work) I’m going to start looking at rss feeds and the like so I can be notified when blogs are updated. I will then read more once I get them readily available.

Who are your spiritual heroes?
My youth minister had a huge impact on my spiritual life. I also had a Sunday School teacher from about 7th grade through high school that I really respect. When I think about my spiritual heroes, it is noteworthy that they are mostly from my past. Although we still keep in touch, the real impressions were made early on in my life.

What are you reading at the moment?
John Adams by David McCullough

What is your favorite hymn and why?
Victory in Jesus was my dad’s favorite hymn, and it has been my favorite since it we sang it at his funeral.

Can you name a major moral, political, or intellectual issue on which you've ever changed your mind?
I used to think that drinking was a sin. I don’t think the case can be made from scripture. I was nearly 30 before I ever had alcohol, and still don’t drink in public mostly to protect my reputation.

What philosophical thesis do you think is most important to combat?
I don’t believe that truth is relative. If two people believe differently, and their beliefs are mutually exclusive, at least one of them is wrong. I had a coworker make the following comment to me (almost verbatim): “To me, God doesn’t exist. If you believe in God, that’s ok, because to you he does exist.” I told him that he is missing the point. Either God exists or he doesn’t. If He does exist, my coworker’s disbelief is not going to make God not exist. On the other hand, if God doesn’t exist, all the prayers in the world will not conjure him up. We can’t both be right. We can agree to disagree, but we can’t both be right. To say we are both right is nonsense.

If you could affect one major change in the governing of your country, what would it be?
I would like to think I could make it a lot smaller.

If you could affect one major policy change in the United Methodist Church, what would it be?
I think it’s sad that Methodists aren’t known for sound biblical teaching and doctrine. We are way to accepting of doctrine and teaching that is unbiblical.

What would be your most important piece of advice about life?
“If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?” -Matthew 16:24-26

What, if anything, do you worry about?
I worry about finances way too much.

If you were to relive your life to this moment, is there anything that you'd do differently?
I would have taken a different first job after graduating from college.

Where would you most like to live (other than where you do now)?
I would love to live in Austin, TX where I was born. We moved to Oklahoma from Texas when I was in the first grade, and I really do love it here. However, it is not popular to be a UT Football fan in the Sooner Nation. I often say that Oklahoma and Texas are the two greatest states in the Union.
It’s a little frustrating because I go to Texas and they make fun of me for being from Oklahoma. In Oklahoma they make fun of me from being from Texas. I need to just change my name to Texoma.
You would not believe the grief I get when Oklahoma beats Texas in football. I have a long list of people that I’m going to pay back, and they should be afraid.

What do you like doing in your spare time?
I like to read, watch TV, mess around with the computer, and play Playstation with my son.

What is your most treasured possession?
My wife and son

What talent would you most like to have?
I wish I could sing. When I was young I loved to sing in church. My wife gets on to me now because I only move my lips to the words.

If you could have any three guests, past or present, to dinner, who would they be?
R.C. Sproul – His writings and teachings have influenced how I interpret and study scripture more than anyone else. Sorry if this offends other Methodists since he’s Presbyterian, but it’s the truth.

CS Lewis – He can write things so deep that I have to read it several times in order to understand the powerful meaning, and at the same time he can write books for children.

Martin Luther – I would love to visit the man that started what became known as the Protestant Reformation.

You can find more about me and my family here

1 comment:

John said...

I'm confused, Joel. Where are you reading this?