Thursday, October 06, 2005

Methodist Blogger Profile: Craig Moore


My wife Kathy and I live in St. Petersburg, Florida and I am currently the pastor of St. Luke’s United Methodist Church. This is a great place to live and a wonderful church to pastor. My 3 daughters live in Indiana.

Why do you blog?
I blog because it is a way to share my opinions and beliefs worldwide. In the tradition of Martin Luther who used the new technology of the printing press to distribute his ideas, I use the blogs to distribute my ideas. Blogging keeps me thinking about current theological issues and is a great way to learn and grow by dialogue with others.

What has been your best blogging experience?
Receiving comments, both negative and positive. I like hearing the views of others and thinking about what they say. I may not agree, but it does give me another view on subjects.

What would be your main advice to a novice blogger?
Be open, honest and bold about stating your views or reflections. Often debate is tough work. We have to get beyond worrying about being offended and offending others.

If you only had time to read three blogs a day, what would they be?
Galatiansc4v16 (Tony Rose), Rekindled Methodism, Locus & Honey

Who are your spiritual heroes?
John Wimber, John Calvin, R. C. Sproul

What are you reading at the moment?
Monkey Business, The Truth Behind The Scopes Trial

What is your favorite hymn and why?
Lift High the Cross

Can you name a major moral, political, or philosophical issue on which you've ever changed your mind?
I have changed my mine about the war in Iraq. I was for the Bush Administration invading Iraq originally. I was all for confronting terrorism on their turf instead of ours. I have changed my mind because now the war in Iraq is more of a police action than a war. If you are going to fight a war, go all out and do everything you can to win and get it over with. It troubles me that this conflict just lingers on and soon the American public will probably get tired of it and we will see a mass withdraw of U.S. forces and chaos in the Middle East.

What philosophical thesis do you think is most important to combat?
Call me a ‘modernist,” but I hate to conceive of a world without absolutes and any reliable authoritative truth. I think that people need to have something bigger than themselves to believe in, inspire them and guide them.

If you could affect one major change in the governing of your country, what would it be?
Smaller government. I think that we have become a society that looks to government to solve all our problems, hold our hand and take care of us. Even many Christians look to government as their security instead of trusting in God

If you could affect one major policy change in the United Methodist Church, what would it be?
I would like to see the UMC set up a budget that would help seminary students pay for school. Then, after a numbers of years of service to the church, write off the debt. That is how I got through seminary in another denomination.

What would be your most important piece of advice about life?
Take charge of your life and take responsibility for yourself. Don’t expect others to take care of you, make you happy or provide for you. If you don’t do that you will place yourself in a vulnerable position. Human beings, even with the best intentions, can fail you.

What, if anything, do you worry about?
Gas prices.

If you were to relive your life to this point, is there anything that you'd do differently?
I would learn to be a first class piano player. I would love to be able to play a keyboard in worship.

Where would you most like to live (other than where you do now)?
Texas hill country southwest of Austin, that is where I plan to retire.

What do you like doing in your spare time?
I read and when the weather is cooler, I ride my Harley Davidson Road King. [snarky editorial comment: that means riding in the tow truck pulling his Harley]

What is your most treasured possession?
My library and Harley.

What talent would you most like to have?
Musical ability

If you could have any three guests, past or present, to dinner, who would they be?
Ronald Reagan, Francis Schaeffer and John Wimber

4 comments:

John said...

I found it interesting that two of Craig's three spiritual heroes are Calvinists.

Anonymous said...

John
My admiration for Calvin goes beyond his well known doctrines of election and predestination. Calvin also emphasized the integration of faith and everyday life. He taught that everthing a Christian did glofied God, therefore a believer should do everything well. His theology had a tremendous impact on western culture and the founding of our nation.

John said...

That's a good point! It is certainly unChristlike to resolve theological disputes with murder. I had forgotten that Calvin did this.

Anonymous said...

JUST LET IT GO GUYS-ANYONE WHO ADMIRES CALVIN AND CLAIMS TO FOLLOW CHRIST- IS ONE CONFUSED INDIVIDUAL. I FIND THIS PARTICULARLY INTERESTING COMING FROM A MAN WHO BELIEVED STRONGLY IN JOHN WESLEY AND RECEIVED HIS EARLY EDUCATION AT A WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY. WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU CRAIG?