Friday, October 21, 2005

Methodist Blogger Profile: Josh Tinley

Josh Tinley of Scrambies

Why do you blog?
I have a short attention span. I’ve been creating and maintaining websites (either personal sites or sites promoting one of the bands I used to play in) for much of the past decade. I created the site that is now Josh Tinley.com five years ago and populated it with poorly edited short stories, divinity school papers, and assorted other writings. (More recently, I’ve been putting up MP3s of songs I’ve written and recorded and pictures of my one-year-old, Meyer—www.meyertinley.com.)

Until recently, I was an HTML purist with limited HTML skills. Creating new material worthy of the effort it took to post something on the website took time, and I only updated the site once every month or two. I finally decided that, if I broke down and got a Blogger account, I could post short writings about anything on my mind and put up links to interesting articles and websites whenever I felt like it. Even better, Blogger would automatically archive everything. Now, I discipline myself to blog daily (allowing for a blogging sabbath on Saturday or Sunday).

What has been your best blogging experience?
Becoming part of The United Methodist blogging community. Before my fellow United Methodists stumbled on my blog, I’m not sure I had any readers. Now I actually get comments sometimes. More importantly, I’ve widened my circle of friends.

What would be your main advice to a novice blogger?
1) Whenever possible link to sources that support your argument or effectively illustrate what you are talking about.
2) Blog as frequently as possible.
3) Regularly re-read what you have written and correct any mistakes you notice.

If you only had time to read three blogs a day, what would they be?
Wesley Blog (www.wesleyblog.com): I think Shane Raynor is one of the most important young voices in United Methodism today. While I often disagree with Shane, I respect that he appreciates and gives voice to perspectives that differ from his own. He is largely responsible for building up the United Methodist “blogosphere” and has enabled several passionate United Methodists to better stay informed about what is going on in their own denomination.

Wonkette (www.wonkette.com): Wonkette has become my favorite political blog. It’s a credible source of news, but it also has a sense of humor. Though by most accounts Wonkette is a “liberal” political blog, its editors are happy to question and criticize their political allies from time to time.
Nashville Is Talking (www.nashvilleistalking.com): NIT has done wonders for blogging in the Nashville area. It has increased traffic to several sites run by area bloggers and has built relationships among strong-minded Nashvillians who would otherwise have little in common.

Who are your spiritual heroes?
Mainly Nashville-area Prophets:

Father Charlie Strobel runs the Campus for Human Development downtown, which provides shelter, counseling, job training, and entertainment for Nashville's homeless population.
Rev. Becca Stevens founded Magdalene House to rehabilitate local prostitutes; her ministry has been very successful.
Rev. Bill Barnes gave his life to the Edgehill community, which suffered severely as a result of urban renewal efforts in the sixties.
Dr. Forrest Harris is a preacher, activist, and president of American Baptist College.
Rev. Ed Sanders ran unsuccessfully for governor a few years ago, but has been undeterred in his efforts to assist people with HIV/AIDS.
Sister Sandra Smithson has devoted her life to education and recently opened a charter elementary school for students from depressed neighborhoods on Nashville’s west side.

All of these prophets consider their work a ministry, a calling, and an important part of their relationship with God. And all of them see Christ in “the least of these” (though they probably wouldn’t use that language).

What are you reading at the moment?
John,
It’s taken me so long to fill out this interview (and I apologize again), that I’ve read several books since I first began answering your questions. Here are a few I’d recommend:

The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger: Maybe the best novel of the twenty-first century so far
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/015602943X/qid=1128594177/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-9902739-0483800?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

The Gospel of Jesus by James Robinson: A “historical Jesus” study published earlier this year that doesn’t fall into the trap of trying to introduce “shocking new revelations”
http://www.cokesbury.com/search.aspx?scope=author&query=James%20Robinson&pid=0060762179

Rabbi Jesus by Bruce Chilton: Probably the most enjoyable book I’ve read on the “historical Jesus”; Chilton beautifully tells the story of Jesus’ life—his book feels more like a novel than a historical reconstruction
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0385497938/qid=1129805149/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-9371608-6093449?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Momentum for Life by Michael Slaughter: A good self-assessment book for church leaders; get out your highlighters

All six Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling: I cannot say enough good things about the Harry Potter series

What is your favorite hymn and why?
“This Is My Song.” Even during my faith crisis, when I wasn’t sure if I considered myself a Christian, this hymn touched me. I think its words are especially relevant at a time when too many people confuse spirituality and nationalism. “This Is My Song” is also set to the same tune as “Be Still My Soul,” which is another of my favorites.

Can you name a major moral, political, or intellectual issue on which you've ever changed your mind?
Poverty in the United States. I once assumed that persons who worked full-time, even at minimum wage, could pay for their basic living expenses, if they made responsible decisions. I changed my perspective after graduating from college and not being able to land a “real job.” I relentlessly strung together several part-time jobs and still had trouble paying the tent. Now I understand that millions of hardworking people are barely getting by, that good jobs are hard to find even if one is qualified, and that reliable transportation and affordable housing cannot be taken for granted. Healthcare issues further complicate the situation.

On the other hand, I have also come to understand the importance of personal responsibility. I don’t think we (the government, the church, whoever) should ever take the attitude, “You’ve made poor decisions; now you’ll have to suffer the consequences.” Everyone makes poor decisions and has to suffer some of the consequences, but grace and mercy are so central to our identity as Christians. We should never give up on anyone. But we can say, “This is how we can help you, but you’ll have to take reponsibility for this, this, and this.” People need to know that their decisions do matter, that their choices do have consequences and that they do have some control over their lives. Such knowledge can be empowering.

What philosophical thesis do you think is most important to combat?
I don’t know if this counts as a philosophical thesis, but I abhor the practice of classifying everything as either liberal or conservative, left or right.

If you could affect one major change in the governing of your country, what would it be?
The “Fair Wage Plan” I introduced on my blog a few months back.
http://scrambies.blogspot.com/2005/07/fair-wage-plan.html

If you could affect one major change in the United Methodist Church, what would it be?
Probably the church’s stance on homosexuality, but people talk about that all the time.

I think that clergy, congregations, conferences, boards, and agencies need to communicate better. General boards and agencies too often step on one another’s toes instead of working together as partners. Many congregations have no idea what is going on at the national level or even the conference level. On the other hand, boards and agencies are sometimes out of touch with the local churches. The church has several excellent resources (both those developed on the national level and those developed by individual congregations) that go largely unnoticed.

What would be your most important piece of advice about life?
Focus on what God is calling you to do, and drink a lot of water.

What, if anything, do you worry about?
I worry way too much about money and about what people think of me.
If you were to relive your life to this point, is there anything that you'd do differently?
I would have dressed differently in high school. I looked like a goon.

Where would you most like to live (other than where you do now)?
London

What do you like to do in your spare time?
Spending time with my wife, Ashlee, my son, Meyer, and our four cats; writing (blog posts, songs, stories, articles, whatever); playing the piano; reading; preparing Sunday school lessons; gardening; riding my bicycle

What is your most treasured possession?
The upright piano my mother-in-law passed down to me. Most everything else I own is replaceable or disposable.

What talent would you most like to have?
I’d like to play in the NBA. Not having the ability to make the League is my life’s biggest regret.

If you could have any three guests, past or present, to dinner, who would they be?
My parents and my sister.

No comments: