Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Methodist Blogger Profile: Derek Tang

Derek Tang of Live on Two Legs

Why do you blog?
I blog because it’s a good personal space for me. It allows me to share thoughts I don’t always necessarily get to share with those at the church I serve at. Other than those people, there’s really not many acquaintances I have in my immediate vicinity, but on the flip side, I do have a lot of close personal friends whom I keep in touch with via email and IM and chats. It’s a good place for me to vent some frustrations as well as thoughts I may have about issues/events that I may not be able to otherwise engage in conversation with anyone about.

What has been your best blogging experience?
When I was down in Mississippi this past October doing some Katrina relief work, I was completely blown away by the scale of the destruction. Seeing it on the news was one thing, but actually BEING there to experience the sights and sounds and smells was another. I had to share what I was going through, and even though I probably ticked a couple of people off waiting in line behind me to use the one computer we had available for Internet access, I could tell from the many responses I got that what I “wrote” down touched a nerve with a lot of my friends. The response I got to the one about burning the flag was totally unexpected, and I appreciated it.

What would be your main advice to a novice blogger?
Do it as often as you can, and don’t get too caught up in trying to be too deep and profound each time. I’ve fallen into that trap, and realized that my attempts at the time did not match my frame of mind, and if a blog is going to be a true reflection of your thoughts/feelings/etc., it needs to be transparent, not forced.

If you could only read three blogs a day, what would they be?
The Wesley Blog, because I am a cradle Methodist (heck, I’m a PK), Locusts & Honey, and my friend Todd’s blog. If my fiancée blogged more at hers, then it’d be on the list, too!

Who are your spiritual heroes?
Hmmmm…………….well, I won’t go for the obvious Biblical persons answer, and try to put a bit more thought into this. I am definitely my father’s son. As I mentioned above, I’m a PK, and he has truly inspired a lot of my own personal theology as well as influencing my answer to The Call

John Wesley, for obvious reasons.

Pope John Paul II. Yeah, people have issues with the RCC, but you’d be hard-pressed to deny that this man was a great example for many of us who struggle with our daily faith walks. My fiancee’s Catholic, and she was really saddened during his last days, and we both started researching and reading up more about his history. Truly an amazing person.

What are you reading at this moment?
Honestly? This week’s issue of Sports Illustrated, the one with Joe Pa on the cover. I’m truthfully not much of a reader, and the last theological book I read was Mike Yaconelli’s “Dangerous Wonder.”

What is your favorite hymn and why?
“Christ The Lord Is Risen Today.” I love it because it is such a powerful and inspiring tune on what I think is the most powerful and inspiring day in our year.

Can you name a major moral, political, or intellectual issue on which you've ever changed your mind?
Partisanship. I have tons of respect for anyone who can justify their opinion on anything, regardless of if I agree with them or not, but the political landscape in this country has become an utter disgrace. While the left and right continues to bicker, it’s the people who PUT them there in the first place who lose the most. I firmly believe that all Senators and Congressmen should only come to Washington D.C. for one week per month, and spend the rest of their time in their constituencies—serving the people as they are supposed to do.

What philosophical thesis do you think is most important to combat?
The one that equates the First Amendment with wiping the mere mention of the name “God” out of the public square completely.

If you could effect one major change in the governing of your country, what would it be?
See answer to #8. I also think that anyone who wants to obtain a driver’s license or become a parent should be subject to an I.Q. test and a psychological competency test.

If you could effect one major policy change in the United Methodist Church, what would it be?
Clear declarations on the following issues: abortion, homosexuality, and everything that Joseph Sprague tried to “challenge” a couple of years ago. Gee, you can’t tell I lean conservative, can you?

What would be your most important piece of advice about life?
Tossup between “Live your life—it’s the only one you’ve got for now” and “That which does not kill me makes me stronger.”

What, if anything, do you worry about?
The constant coddling of the younger generation today. Public schools. Rampant secularism, along with the silent majority that almost always seems to be reactive, not proactive. Teenage issues. People blaming the entertainment industry for the ills of the world.

If you were to relive your life to this point, is there anything that you'd do differently?
I’d like to be a couple of inches taller.

Where would you most like to live (other than where you do now)?
Seeing as how my fiancée doesn’t move out here until August, I’d like to be out in Southern California.

What do you like doing in your spare time?
Blog, post on message boards, play with my cat.

What is your most treasured possession?
My computer. Life would certainly be rather boring without it. My sweet Master Replicas Lightsaber is up there, too LOL

What talent would you most like to have?
The ability to read music and thus play the guitar or the piano.

If you could have any three guests, past or present, to dinner, who would they be?
Pele, JFK, and Bono. Should make for some interesting conversation. My backups would be Muhammad Ali, Lance Armstrong, Pope John Paul II, Gandhi, Mao, Johnny Cash, and Marx.

6 comments:

Derek said...

Why, thank you, John! I'm honored. I want to thank God, my mother, my father, my fami...........oh ok. I'll stop now.

John said...

I'm just impressed that you would like to have dinner with Groucho Marx.

Derek said...

Hahahahaha.........I actually meant the less famous brother Karl.

John said...

I woudn't eat dinner with Lance Armstrong unless Ms. Crow agreed to tag along. That's just me.

see-through faith said...

interesting reading.


conservative is ok ... but I'd like to hear more about healing in the body of Christ, rather than strict rules of who and what we will not tolerate.

but that's me :)

Anonymous said...

I just read your quote in the NY Times. Although I am sure that there is more context than what was given in the artical, I can't help but think you have thought too hard about the idea of file downloading. God can not abide any amount of sin. Therefor stealing from a big multinational corpoeratioin is just as sinful as stealing from a starving artist.

(Postings sound harsher than the spoken word. This is ment in love)

Josh