Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Methodist Blogger Profile: Richard Heyduck

Posted by Picasa

Richard Heyduck of Bandits No More

I’m pastor of First United Methodist Church in Pittsburg, Texas (http://www.fumcpittsburg.com/). I’m married to Christi & have children Emily, Paul and Hannah.

Why do you blog?
Because I’m opinionated about a wide variety of things and my day job doesn’t allow me to talk about them all. Blogging is also a good way for me to get some ideas down in a form I can access later when I want to develop them.

What has been your best blogging experience?
Hmmmm. Probably having people actually read what I write and comment on it.

What would be your main advice to a novice blogger?
Just do it. Write about things that interest you whether they add up to a coherent collection or not.

If you only had time to read three blogs a day, what would they be?
Instapundit, Lawson Stone, Evangelical Outposts. You asked for three. I always check yours (Locusts & Honey), Wesley Blog, The Corner, Uncommon Descent, Sci Guy, Seth Godin, Tony Morgan etc.

Who are your spiritual heroes?
John Wesley, Martin Luther, G.K. Chesterton, Brother Andrew, Hudson Taylor, my wife’s grandfather.

What are you reading at the moment?
I just wrote about this at Guy William’s place: http://www.bookmining.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=27#27

What is your favorite hymn and why?
And Can It Be if I have to choose one. I love a bunch including Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, For All the Saints, A Mighty Fortress, etc.

Can you name a major moral, political, or intellectual issue on which you've ever changed your mind?
I used to think (20+ years ago) that world government was a good idea. I know a little more now.

What philosophical thesis do you think is most important to combat?
It depends on where I’m at & who I’m with. In many places, it’s the notion that truth or the most real is found in the general, the abstract and the universal. Christianity is rooted in the particular and the historical. As long as we thought with Lessing that “religion” is primarily about the “necessary truths of reason” (and that Christianity was a religion), we were hopelessly misguided. In other circles I argue against individualism.

If you could affect one major change in the governing of your country, what would it be?
That those who govern would be willing to answer questions even if (a) their answer didn’t fit into a sound bite and (b) they thought their constituents might not like their answer.

If you could affect one major policy change in the United Methodist Church, what would it be?
More thorough consultation in the appointment process along with Cabinet members who tell the truth. That’s a policy change. A non-policy change would be to recover the value of unified doctrine in the church.

What would be your most important piece of advice about life?
Pay attention.

What, if anything, do you worry about?
Not being a good dad; never making enough to buy a house; not being able to help my kids through college; preaching for years with no one “getting” it.

If you were to relive your life to this point, is there anything that you'd do differently?
I’d ask more people for advice along the way. Being an introvert, I never really thought people would be willing to tell me anything.

Where would you most like to live (other than where you do now)?
Someplace with mountains & forests.

What do you like doing in your spare time?
Reading, computers, genealogy.

What is your most treasured possession?
My family.

What talent would you most like to have?
Hmmmm. Wise leadership.

If you could have any three guests, past or present, to dinner, who would they be?
G.K. Chesterton, Charles Taylor, Johann Polhemius.

5 comments:

John said...

This is a very fair point. I answered in a similar male-centered fashion, and it shouldn't be that way.

Joel, please tell me one book by a female author that I will read and I will read it. And I don't mean this in any sarcastic or ironic manner. You have a good argument and I want to correct my bias.

Richard H said...

Oops. Caught by the PC police.

A factor you might want to look at is the kind of question being asked.

"Heroes," even "spiritual" ones, imply conflict. Though pleny of women are heroic - even in large public ways, I tend to think of guys as heroes more than I think of women in that category.

If John had asked me about who I view as some of the most important leaders in the church today I would have listed at least two women: Janice Riggle Huie, Bishop of the Texas Annual Conference (if you've been following my blog you'llbe familiar with my comments on her strong leadership -the strongest I've seen in an episcopal leader) and Nancey Murphy, my main professor for my doctoral work. Nancey has been a major theorist in postmodern philosophy and theology as well as the intersection of science and religion [her first doctorate is in philosophy of science].

As to who I want to eat with - for one thing, I'm shy, and apart "the fact that in Christ there is neither male nor female" I'm a shy person. I don't understand women. Of course, I don't understand bunches of guys either.... If I'm eating, I want to be able to eat like a guy, not have to be constantly reminded, "Chew with your mouth closed!" "Get your elbows off the table!" "Sit up straight!" "Don't crunch so loudly!" etc. I've never heard a guy complian about any of that.

I'm happy being a guy - even though much in the way of "guy" stuff (belching, drinking, cussing, rude & abusive jokes, hunting & fishing, etc.) doesn't appeal to me.I'd much rather be a male than a female - it looks so much easier. I'm also quite happy if females are happier being what they are than what they aren't.

I'm also happy to read books that sound interesting - without asking whether I've fulfilled my quota in author categorization. If I want to learn how women think & approach the world, I'd likely look for a woman who purports to speak to that end, not assuming that everything a woman writes is tainted by a specifically womanly view of the world (any more than everything a man writes is tainted by a masculine view of the world).

I'd better stop and get on to other things.

Anonymous said...

Joel,

Since I'm not a blogger, I reckon I don't have a dog in this race, but I can't resist. As Christ says, there are neither male or females in the Kingdom, why do you see male exclusivity? Why not just Christians. When John does the profiles and folks reply with the names of historical persons they would like to eat dinner with, I will freely admit that I typically don't say to myself, "three men", or "two men and a woman". What does get me many times is when they pick some historical pagan or infadel. Then I think to myself, "why didn't they pick three Christians?" I applaude your point, but I also suggest you try to look at things in that point of view.

One of my favorite books of the Bible is the Revelation of Jesus Christ. As a male, I learn that I will one day be a bride. I look forward to the day that I am the Bride of Christ. It doesn't bother me one bit. The first time that I got married I was the groom, the second time I will be a bride. So be it.

Like John, I think you do bring up a good point. I think it is important for pastors (such as you are doing) to bring balance in the Christian Faith and Church History. Study Great OT and NT Saints. Women Like Ruth and Esther. Study women like Sampson's or Samuel's mothers. Mary the Mother of Christ. Etc., etc. etc. I think if I were a pastor I could preach a solid year each Sunday on a different Biblical female OT or NT Saint and never cover the same subject twice. The women are included in the Word of God, it is up to the pastors to lift them up.

Anonymous said...

Hi Richard,
You must be an Asbury grad....I like "And Can It Be" also. I think that is the Asbury theme song!!

Angela said...

Dear Pastor,

I have come in contact with your name being added to a list of 300 evangelical supporting Islam stating that Yahweh and Allah are the same God.

Your support on this issue really upsets me. I am not a member in your Congregation but if I was I would leave. It's time for you realize that Yahweh and Allah are NOT the same God. How could you support a letter for World Peace when you should know that World Peace will not happen until Christ Returns! I pray for your salvation because have obviously been misled on what the media says.

If anybody cares to read the article then please do so.

http://www.yale.edu/faith/acw/acw.htm