Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Children's Literature

In library school, I had to devour a lot of children's lit, but I never had the opportunity to read the late Tookie Williams. Whatever else might be said about him, he was an outstanding children's author:

Once upon a time, down a bright sunny alley behind a magical cottage in a faraway kingdom called Compton, lived a little quacky ducky named Tookie. Tookie was brave and strong and all of the other duckies knew to respect him, because otherwise Tookie and his friend Sammy Sawed-Off would mess you up bad, understand?

One day, Tookie was feeling very, very sad, because he had run out of Kools. "Who will help me get my Kools?" he said. "I will help you get your Kools!" said Blackie. So Tookie and Blackie drove to the 7-Eleven in Tookie's Monte Carlo.

"Give me some Kools!" Tookie asked Clerky Ducky. Clerky Ducky gave him the Kools, but he was very very slow, so Tookie greased the quacker with Sammy Sawed-Off. "Boom!" said Sammy.

"Ha ha!" laughed Tookie. "Listen to Clerky's funny sounds! Gurgle gurgle gurgle!"

Warning: mild profanity. Hat tip to Inoperable Terran. Image from Larry Chomstein.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very poor taste: u r better than this

John said...

If you can't laugh at a viscous, murdering thug and his celebrity fans, who can you laugh at?

John said...

By the way, here are some of his fans.

Tony said...

I'm gonna agree with darrell on this one. Regardless of your views on this matter, humor has no place here.

John said...

In a morally centered society, let those who would elevate this murderer to sainthood be mocked.

methodist monk said...

Not funny John.

John said...

Alright, explain people. Tell me why.

John said...

Understood, although I don't think that the conviction is unjust.

What about the rest of you? Speak up.

Tony said...

A human being was put to death. That is no occasion for humor. You and I have no way to know if Williams was in any way repentant or if he had any type of relationship with Christ. That is between him and our Lord.

But....
if Williams was repentant and asked our Lord for forgiveness, don't you think that Christ's blood was sufficient, even for a murderous thug like Williams.

If not...
there is no hope for any of us.

There is nothing funny about a cry for mercy, whether from Williams or from me.

John said...

Point taken...and missed. The humor is not about the death of Tookie Williams, but about the celebritification of him -- making him out to be a great saint martyred for the cause. He was no hero by any stretch. The mewling about him being a civil rights leader and a caring children's author is sheer nonsense.

Protests against the death penalty have happened before without this baloney. Would it be too much for them to say "Yeah, Tookie's a scumbag, but we shouldn't execute anyone"?

If you read the narrative from Iowahawk, you'll see that that is his theme. He never mentions the execution. It is Tookie's elevation to hero that he satirizes, and rightly so.

By the way, did you read the text from Iowahawk before blasting me? Just curious.

Derek said...

It's not "humor." It's satire.

Are all those left-wing Hollywood celebrity "activists" (and I use that term very loosely) going to be as outspoken and (ahem) pro-life when it comes to a certain other topic?

Tony said...

First, let me apologize if you got the impression that I am "blasting" you. I am not.

And yes, I did read all the posts and links concerning Williams as well as everything that I could find in the news concerning the execution and Williams.

I agree wholeheartedly that Williams supporters are misguided. Even Hitler was nominated for a Nobel prize. All such talk is misplaced.

The only point that I am trying to make is that a human being is dead. Regardless of who he was or what he did he was born a child of God and still may be for all I know and in God's family all the children are equally forgiven.