Friday, January 20, 2006

Camp Lutherland

Real Live Preacher found this picture in the door of the public library of Schertz, Texas:



This is funny on so many levels that I wasn't sure how to even begin blogging about it. Schertz is a small town on the outskirts of San Antonio, and is where my wife grew up. She worked in this library as a teenager and knows the town librarian personally.

Ah, my dear sweet in-laws and their little town! When Katherine and I started dating seriously, they had grave concerns. Marriage would not only mean leaving South Texas permanently (her whole family has been there for several generations), but the shocking horror that she would be marrying outside of the Missouri Synod Lutheran Church (LCMS).

You do realize, of course, that if you're not in the LCMS that you're going straight to hell, right?

LCMSers are unintentionally hilarious people. For example, when there is a dispute over Biblical interpretation, they say, "Let us go back and read the Scripture passage in the original German." They are a fascinating anthropological study. Thank God that I do not live there.

Anyway, Katherine thinks that the flyer was more likely created by a Mexican employee who is unlikely to know who is MLK, Jr. or why there is a holiday named after him. The people of Schertz, she assures me, are those this blindingly insensitive.

Hat tip to Andy Bryan.

5 comments:

truevyne said...

Okay, so it took me two views to comprehend the irony of the picture. I was never invited into MENSA, and perhaps now you understand why.

The first Martin Luther...ooohhh...not MLK.

At least I finally figured it out on my very own.

Jody Harrington said...

As a native of San Antonio, I really related to this. What a hoot!

Apostle John said...

That is SOOO funny!

St. Casserole said...

I'm still laughing! I love this!

Anonymous said...

My wife & her 2 sisters were raise LCMS. All three of them married and converted to their husbands' United Methodism. Guess that means three more will be hearing old Toby's speech.