Friday, January 20, 2006

Methodist Blogger Profile: Matthew Johnson

Matthew Johnson of Pastor At Large

I am a United Methodist pastor in Arkansas, my home state. I'm a 2000 graduate of the University of Arkansas and a 2003 graduate of Asbury Theological Seminary. My wife and I have been married nearly 5 years and we have a one year old daughter. Being a dad is probably the best thing ever.

Why do you blog?
I started blogging at the Boar's Head Tavern in February or March of 2002 because I thought it looked like fun. Granted, group-blogging is a little different, but I really enjoyed the interaction. I continue to blog, both on the BHT and my own, because I like to write and I like to journal. I've been writing in a journal of some form since I was about 13 and blogging is just one of those forms.

What has been your best blogging experience?
Going after my vanity, eh? Honestly, having Shane and Dr. Stone write that they read the blogs I post on (BHT and my own, respectively) and mention me by name. That was pretty cool.

What would be your main advice to a novice blogger?
Don't go on big name blogs like Dr. Witherington's and write stuff in the comment section like "Check out my comments on your post over at my blog -- www.n00b.org". It's annoying.

If you only had time to read three blogs a day, what would they be?
I use bloglines and keep my finger on about 100 blogs a day and you want me to narrow it down to three? Sheesh, man. I guess the three I couldn't live without (other than the BHT since I post there, too) Instapundit, Internet Monk, and Doc Stone.

Who are your spiritual heroes?
N.T. Wright, Eugene Peterson, Bob Tuttle, Thomas Merton.

What are you reading at the moment?
That's funny. You're asking a real live, psychiatrist diagnosed ADD person what he's reading at the moment?
New Testament and the People of God - N.T. Wright
The Drama of Scripture - Bartholomew & Goheed;
Tanakh - JPS translation of the OT
The Five Books of Moses – Robert Alter (This and the last one I'm reading for Invitation to the OT)
Colossians Remixed - Walsh and Keesmaat
Following Jesus - N.T. Wright
Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ - John Piper

What is your favorite hymn and why?
And Can it Be – It's the Asbury fight song. And because on a day I was really struggling, I happened to read Romans 8:1, heard Dr. Killian preach on getting the grace we don't deserve, and we sang this song. OK, God, I get the point!

Can you name a major moral, political, or intellectual issue on which you've ever changed your mind?
In the 11 years I've been a registered voter, I've been a Democrat, a Republican, and an Independent. I think I now practice what I've heard Scot McKnight call a purple politics. I'm still mostly a conservative on social issues, but I'm also uncomfortable with the current War on Terrorism and I'm turning into a real Greenie on environmental issues (which, as Dr. Stone pointed out in his profile, is something that conservatives should be doing--protecting the environment).

What philosophical thesis do you think is most important to combat?
Epistemology. Just kidding. Gosh, I'm so over my head when it comes to philosophy it's not funny. As someone deeply concerned with communication, I have some major disagreements with deconstructionism. I'm not to happy with relativism, either. It seems to me that they both lack common sense, which, if you'd met my Philosophy prof in college, you would be able to see why I think that.

If you could effect one major change in the governing of your country, what would it be?
Flush lobbyists. They are the intestinal parasites of American politics.

If you could effect one major policy change in the United Methodist Church, what would it be?
Everyone says "guaranteed appointments" and I'm inclined to agree. I also think that there are too many who have risen far beyond their level of competence so I'm pretty set against a guaranteed move up. It's not fair for the churches.

What would be your most important piece of advice about life?
Don't procrastinate.

What, if anything, do you worry about?
My child's safety. 24 hours a day.

If you were to relive your life to this point, is there anything that you'd do differently?
Yeah, most of it has to do with college and if printed would probably get you in trouble with Asbury's Ethos Statement, so I'll just say that I'd do college differently.

Where would you most like to live (other than where you do now)?
Regensburg, Germany. We lived there when I was a kid (Dad was in the Army). Awesome place. Awesome memories.

What do you like doing in your spare time?
Read, play guitar, mess around with Garageband and attempt to podcast.

What is your most treasured possession?
My Powerbook.

What talent would you most like to have?
I'd like to be a wicked lead guitarist.

If you could have any three guests, past or present, to dinner, who would they be?
N.T. Wright, Bob Dylan, and Rivers Cuomo.

1 comment:

Christopher said...

Asbury has a "fight song"?