Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Methodist Blogger Profile: Wes Whiddon


Wes Whiddon of Tough Times

My wife, Ellie, and I have been married 43 years. I’m an Air Force veteran and we live in Sugar Land, Texas, a bedroom community of Houston. I work as an engineer in the radio side of broadcasting. We have a son and a daughter, both grown up with families and kids of their own. God has blessed us over the years through our children and grandchildren. After being lifelong Baptists, Ellie and I “converted” to Methodism a couple of years ago. We love our church in Sugar Land and I’ve never been more satisfied with my Christian journey than now.

Why do you blog?
I’ve been at it for several years but honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever really found my voice. I have a couple of other weblogs, one of which I’ve neglected for months. The other is practical, work related, and devoted to everyday things at my job. Blogging, though, is a phenomenon unlike anything civilization has ever experienced. This may sound over the top but in my opinion it’s up there with the invention of the printing press.

What has been your best blogging experience?
I was surprised when I got a comment on Tough Times (not that my bandwidth allotment is overwhelmed with them). This blog started out as simply a way to get information to other men in my Bible Study class and morphed into what it is now. I decided to continue after finding Methobloggers on John’s web site.

What would be your main advice to a novice blogger?
Worry more about content than what your blog looks like. I’m constantly tempted to tamper with my template to “improve” things. Some of the best Methobloggers have very plain looks.

If you only had time to read three blogs a day, what would they be?
I like more than three. There’s a lot of big dogs around but in our little piece of the world, I like Locusts, etc and Wesley Blog. In the outside world, Gerard Van der Leun’s American Digest is one of the best of the best.

Who are your spiritual heroes?
I have a couple.

My father was a lay Pentecostal preacher. But he also didn’t have a hidebound view of the physical world. We had many discussions over the years about the Bible and life in general. I wish I could have just one more.

The Apostle Paul. Christianity revolves around the life of Jesus but without this man to disperse the word across the civilized world of the time (if civilized is a proper description) it wouldn’t exist today.

What are you reading at the moment?
“Piano For Dummies” and not much else unless you count technical manuals. I’ve been working too much.

What is your favorite hymn and why?
Oh, Little Town of Bethlehem. Yes, it’s a Christmas carol but every time I hear or sing it, I’m transformed into a little kid, wondering about baby Jesus.

Can you name a major moral, political, or intellectual decision on which you've ever changed your mind?
I can’t think of one. Maybe I’m too set in my ways.

What philosophical thesis do you think is most important to combat?
These might be considered ideologies but if I may indulge myself and mention two, they would be pacifism and the conflict between religion and science.

Any sane person is against war. But there has never been a time in history when sitting around the campfire, singing Kumbaya with a host of people who are dedicated to nothing less than your total destruction will ever achieve peace.

As for the science/religion debate, there’s got to be a balance somewhere. Humanity needs both to survive.

If you could effect one major change in the governing of your country, what would it be?
This isn’t part of our government per se but getting rid of lobbyists would be a good thing. They’re a blight on the landscape.

If you could effect one major policy change in the United Methodist Church, what would it be?
I haven’t been in the church long enough to make a decision on this one. But, as an engineer, I’ve noticed that top heavy structures tend to teeter. Maybe the UMC needs a little trimming up there.

What would be your most important piece of advice about life?
Eighty percent of success is just showing up on time.

What, if anything, do you worry about?
Whether or not I’ll be able to live as I want when I retire. Thank God that is my major worry.

If you were to relive your life to this point, is there anything that you'd do differently?
Education. More of it.

Where would you most like to live (other than where you do now)?
West Texas around Alpine. See below.

What do you like doing in your spare time?
I’m an amateur astronomer. I do research on variable stars and general observing. West Texas has some of the darkest skies in the nation.

What is your most treasured possession?
Physical: My Takahashi FS-102 refractor telescope. Spiritual: My relationship with Christ.

What talent would you most like to have?
Off the track and impossible, but the ability to build a time machine. A nice big one with kitchen, bedroom and bath, of course.

If you could have any three guests, past or present, to dinner, who would they be?
My mother, my father, and Leonardo da Vinci. They’d make quite a combination.

1 comment:

Andy B. said...

Hey, what's wrong with Kumbaya? And campfires are nice, too. ;)