Thursday, February 16, 2006

Art Blogging: Albert Bierstadt

Albert Bierstadt (1830-1902) was an extraordinary landscapist. Born in Germany, educated in Dusseldorf, he immigrated to the United States and became that nation's greatest painter of Western landscapes.

This painting is in the permanent collection of the Birmingham Museum of Art. Whenever I go home, I drive downtown if for no other reason than to see this painting: Yosemite Valley, Yellowstone Park (1868). It is an astounding work, filling a wall and virtually dominating the entire museum with its majestic splendor. I'd write more, but there really aren't words to describe it. Bierstadt's work is simply breathtaking. Oh, the wonders of God's creation!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

John wrote,

Whenever I go home, I drive downtown....(snip)

You are from Allerbammer? Please tell me you are not an Allerbammer, Crimson Elephant football fan.

If that is the case, then it explains alot. If not, then much of your Blog is still a mystery.

Go Big Orange!!!

John said...

Yee. Haw.

I grew up in Hoover on the south side.

Suburban bliss.

Anonymous said...

I remember the first time you showed me this painting... Thanks.

Michael said...

Takes my breath away.