Thursday, February 09, 2006

Art Blogging: Pierre-Auguste Cot

Pierre-Auguste Cot (1837-1883) was a French Academic Classicist. He studied at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Toulouse before moving to Paris. There, he learned from many of the great masters of the day, including Bouguereau. In the 1860s, his fame grew and Cot acquired commissions to paint portraits of the wealthy. Portraiture encompassed the majority of his work, so these more playful pictures are rarities.

That's about all that I can tell you. My spot research is turning up little about Cot, and I haven't the time for more in-depth work.

Enjoy the pretty pictures anyway. Click on each one for a larger view. This one is Springtime (1873), which is privately owned.


The Storm (1883) in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
















Pause for Thought is privately owned. Cot's display of light in this picture is amazing. You'd swear that you were looking at a photograph.

1 comment:

Beth Quick said...

Just checking out posts I missed while away the past few days and saw this one - I actually have Springtime and The Storm as prints in my living room - I really like both. Good to learn more of the artist!