Friday, March 31, 2006

Methobattling

Kurt Boemler is tired of infighting among Methobloggers:

When I joined the Methodist Blog Roll I was thrilled to see that someone was doing something to extend the connection through and into cyberspace. As I read through the articles I was surprised and a bit assured to find that not all who claimed United Methodism were on the same page socially, politically, or theologically. However, as I dug deeper into prevailing themes and especially the comment threads, I became increasingly distressed. I saw the same scenarios I had lived out in my encounters with several subscribers of ideologies different than my own. Methodists were fighting among themselves. I sound naïve as I write this, but I didn’t think that would happen. That’s something that Methodists tried not to do with anyone. Our willingness to come into communion with others, leaving our petty differences behind to sit as brothers and sisters around Christ’s table is what I love most about being United Methodist. I get the distinct impression that there are some members of the Wesley Blog community who would not only detest the idea of sharing in Christ’s body and blood with me, but may actually denounce the legitimacy of my relationship with Christ as my savior based on my voting record, opinions on the death penalty and abortion, or even on my understanding of the Sacraments.

9 comments:

Richard H said...

I think the arguing we do online is IMMENSELY better than the usual superficiality and head-in-the-sand approach of UNITED Methodism. We're not now united so why pretend? True unity will come as an act of the Holy Spirit - aided, I believe, by our stubborn arguing. It might take a generation or two, but our disunity took at least that long.

So I'm not at all discouraged by some arguing - even lots of arguing.

Mark said...

"Leaving our petty differences behind us..."

I'm not denying that Christians have petty differences, but the battle for the soul of the U.M. church (and mainline church as a whole) has unveiled HUGE differences that cannot be ignored.

Andy B. said...

Dear James,
Please tell me you are being facetious ...

Andy B. said...

Best part of Kurt's original post - "Arguing requires relationship." Disagreeing without relationship is fighting. To be in relationship and to disagree in the midst of it is much harder to do, but ultimately much healthier.
- Andy B.

gavin richardson said...

i've said this before too. just wait until we get another judicial decision or something to talk about. it gets worse

John said...

Yes, Gavin. I think that you're referring to this post.

I'm very grateful that you wrote it, because I was going down a very bad path -- bringing division and discord to the Methoblogosphere for sake of traffic -- until you corrected me. Now I try to build unity instead. And all thanks to your corrective smacking.

gavin richardson said...

yup, that was one of them. i did another post before the whole methoblogosphere. i think i titled it idols of justice, basically getting mad a people to worship their justice causes more than God. as we've experienced in the relationship & community building of the mbr, mbwr & other efforts i hope us all to be abover the usual rhetoric arguing and move into positive dialogue that can disagree, but it is not distructive or abusive as we see so often nowadays.

Allen said...

I think Mark has addressed, for me anyway, the key issue. Petty issues/arguments - absolutely, put them aside. But the weightier issues of orthodox Christian faith should be debated vigoursly.

Now I'm left with a problem. Who gets to make the list of "weightier issues"?

Mark said...

Allen,

Wesley mentioned those things that strike at the root of Christianity. Another United Methodist may not agree that the Virgin Birth or historical resurrection is essential, but others do...hence, the need to debate and put forth the reasons WHY we support such doctrines or practices.

The Apostle Paul did it all the time...Jesus got into a theological tussle or two, as well. The church fathers had to duke it out with the Gnostics. I don't think we should be afraid of debate; I think we should welcome it--but leave the mud-slinging to the politicians.