Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The Reformation Polka




Martin Luther sings to the tune of Supercalifragilistic-expialidocious (from Mary Poppins).






While a seminarian I studied canon law;
While Erfurt was a challenge, it was just to please my Pa.
Then came the storm, the lightning struck, I called upon Saint Anne, I shaved my head, I took my vows, an Augustinian!
Oh,

Chorus
Papal bulls, indulgences, and transubstantiation -
Speak your mind against them and face excommunication! Nail your theses to the door, let's start a Reformation! Papal bulls, indulgences, and transubstantiation!

When Tetzel came near Wittenberg, St. Peter's profits soared, I wrote a little notice for the All Saints' Bull'tin board: "You cannot purchase merits, for we're justified by grace! Here's 95 more reasons, Brother Tetzel, in your face!" Oh‑



Chorus

They loved my tracts, adored my wit, all were exempleror; The Pope, however, hauled me up before the Emperor.
"Are these your books? Do you recant?" King Charles did demand, "I will not change my Diet, Sir, God help me here I stand!" Oh‑



Chorus

Duke Frederick took the Wise approach, responding to my words, By knighting "George" as hostage in the Kingdom of the Birds. Use Brother Martin's model if the languages you seek, Stay locked inside a castle with your Hebrew and your Greek! Oh‑



Chorus

Let's raise our steins and Concord Books while gathered in this place, And spread the word that 'catholic' is spelled with lower case; The Word remains unfettered when the Spirit gets his chance, So come on, Katy, drop your lute, and join us in our dance! Oh



Chorus
Hat tip: my church history professor, Dr. Bob Tuttle

9 comments:

truevyne said...

Good grief, Charlie Brown! I was winded after belting out all those big $10 words in your song here at my computer, just to see if the tune and lyrics matched. Surprisingly, they do.

Mark said...

Couldn't you find a picture of Luther flying down on an umbrella?

John said...

Raise my blogging salary by 10% and I'll make it happen.

Andy B. said...

Tell Dr. Bob Tuttle - he's a genius! Haven't stopped laughing yet!
- Andy B.

John said...

I don't think that Dr. Tuttle actually wrote it, just discovered it.

rev-ed said...

10%?? I'll double it!

(You are doing this for free, aren't you?)

John said...

Absolutely free.

julie said...

Haaaaa.....hee, hee......
Ahaaa haaaaa haaa........

:)

Roderick_E said...

Youtube video version of the Reformation Polka
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU0f_qJLkLg