Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Book Review: The Call by Os Guinness

Back in my atheist days, I found myself reading Time for Truth: Living Free in a World of Lies, Hype, and Spin by Os Guinness. Even though it was filled with Christiany stuff, it was a refreshing call for living in truth and integrity. In a time when I was confronted with lies on a daily basis, I echoed Guinness' trumpet blast, regardless of its religious context.

For a summer semester class, I have read The Call: Finding and Fulfilling the Central Purpose of Your Life. It's quite good. The Call is like The Purpose-Driven Life, but less artificial and formulaic, and Resident Aliens without the snarky anti-Americanism. It is a weaving of the two senses that God calls us to live for him and that doing so requires a radical shift in values.

The book has an extensive study guide in the back that makes it imminently suitable for small groups. I heartily recommend it.

4 comments:

Tony said...

Thanks for the review. I just ordered a copy.

Tony said...

P.S.

The last book that I read on your recommendation (The Damnation of Theron Ware) was one of the best works of fiction that I have read in the past year.

I passed it on to my pastor's wife and she loved it, too.

John said...

Wow! Thanks for the boost in confidence.

Jason Woolever said...

sounds good, john. i just read Lead Like Jesus by Ken Blanchard. incredible book as well.