Friday, May 19, 2006

Methodists on the Sacraments

A while back, Tim Sisk created a brilliant series of blog posts on communion. He e-mailed every Methodist blogger and asked each one for his/her preferences in serving and receiving the Eucharist. He listed the responses, which were fascinating.

I'd like to ask the same question to all readers, but regarding the other sacrament recognized by the Methodist tradition -- snake handling. How do you conduct snake-handling services? What liturgy do you prefer?

7 comments:

Rev Paul Martin said...

I prefer other ministers to do the snake handling whilst I say the appropriate words.

I hope to do such a service in Bideford with Richard Hall and Dave Warnock (both stringer in faith than me) demonstrating how it is done.

I cna but learn from them - and I have a First aid certificate even 'though I fell asleep on the course.

Anonymous said...

As soon as we deal with something more important than the sacraments, the color of the carpet in the entryway, we'll talk about it.

John said...

A first aid kit shows a lack of faith.

Richard is some sort of District Superintendent, right? He should lead the way.

How did you get appointed without having led a snake-handling service? Right in Wesley's own stomping ground ya'll have forgotten a core Methodist practice.

Anonymous said...

TC,

When it comes to snake handling services I am fully booked for the next 10 years, so you and Richard will have to manage without me.

Dave

Keith H. McIlwain said...

I usually go to my friend Chris Kindle and ask him how they taught that at Asbury.

John said...

Brian Russell teaches it down here at Asbury/Orlando. I don't know about Wilmore.

gmw said...

In Wilmore, they taught us snake-handling as a practicum in the basic worship class. The rural Kentucky setting there really helped us understand this vital practice.