Sunday, June 04, 2006

Methodist Blogger Profile: Conrad Harvin


Conrad Harvin of Rad's Methodist Blog


Why do you blog?
I started blogging because I had thoughts that I wanted to share. My blogging has also been an opportunity to understand my own thoughts. Sometimes as I write, I realize that I didn't really think what I thought I did. Writing about things gives a new dimension to our thought sometimes.

What has been your best blogging experience?
The time that I got an email from someone who said that something I wrote gave them new encouragement about something they were struggling with.

What would be your main advice to a novice blogger?
You don't have to be perfect.
I wrote lots of drafts when I got started and would never post them because I thought they weren't good enough. I know we Methodists are supposed to be moving on to perfection, but our blogs don't have to be.

If you only had time to read three blogs a day, what would they be?
Locusts & Honey, Bad Methodist & PamBG

Who are your spiritual heroes?
Charles Wesley, Fanny Crosby and Beverly Sawyer
Beverly was my pastor when I joined the UMC. She is author of the prayer book Singer of Seasons.

What are you reading at the moment?
I just finished What They Didn't Teach You About the American Revolution

What is your favorite hymn and why?
Hymn 379 Blow Ye the Trumpet Blow by Charles Wesley
Especially the chorus "The year of jubilee is come! Return ye ransomed sinners home.

From the old hymnal, my favorite is "How Happy Every Child of Grace" by Charles Wesley (The tune is Clensing Fountain"

Can you name a major moral, political, or intellectual issue on which you've changed your mind?
In my teens & twenties I was a hard core Republican. I was vice president of the Arkansas College Republicans. Almost EVERYTHING I believe politically has changed.

What philosophical thesis do you think is most important to combat?
The whole concept that the Bible is the LITERAL word of God. The Bible is God's TRUTH.
Things can be true without being factual.

If you could effect one major change in the governing of your country, what would it be?
To add Universal Health Care that included mental health.

If you could effect one major policy change in the United Methodist Church, what would it be?
That we would accept that faithful Christians disagree on homosexuality.
If we could move past this issue we could put more energy in making disciples.

What would be your most important piece of advice about life?
It's ok admit you were wrong.

What, if anything, do you worry about?
I try not to worry.

If you were to relive your life to this point, is there anything that you'd do differently?
I would focus more on school and avoid credit.

Where would you most like to live (other than where you do now)?
Eureka Springs, Arkansas

What do you like doing in your spare time?
Working in my flower garden

What is your most treasured possession?
My grandfathers journals.

What talent would you most like to have?
To be able to play the piano well. (I sorta play)

If you could have any three guests, past or present to dinner, who would they be?
The Apostle Paul, Charles Wesley & Benjamin Franklin (assuming we had a translator for Paul)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Snake Hunters said:

Why do I blog?

To discover what mysteries are
hidden in the shallow minds of Appeasers & War Protestors.

Now I believe I know. They enjoy
carrying other peoples signs!

www.lazyonebenn.blogspot.com