Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Methodist Blogger Profile: Jason Woolever


Jason Woolever of Post-Methodist


I was born in 1975, and raised in Charleston, Illinois. I was raised, baptized, and confirmed at Wesley United Methodist Church. I attended Northern Illinois University where I got a bachelor’s degree in Classical Guitar Performance. During college I got heavily involved in alcohol abuse, marijuana, and crystal meth. After graduation in August 1997, I moved to Austin, Texas to play music and try to get clean. It was there I got involved at Parker Lane United Methodist Church. During that time I heard and received the gospel of Jesus through the radio teaching ministry of Chuck Swindoll, when he was preaching through the book of Galatians.

In August 1999 I started seminary studies at Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary. I also started dating my wife at that time. We got married the summer after my first year in seminary. I served as the Youth Director at Parker Lane UMC during my last two years in seminary. After completion of my seminary studies, we moved back to Illinois to be appointed at Pontiac FUMC in my home Conference, the Illinois Great Rivers Conference. I was commissioned that year and ordained Elder in June 2005.

In 2003, my son was born. In 2005, my daughter was born. We currently live Pontiac, where I serve as an Associate Pastor.

Why do you blog?
I find I sometimes get intimidated by the changing technological landscape, especially as it relates to ministry. Blogging is how I stay plugged in. It’s a manageable way for me to contribute to cyberministry. I’ve also found that it’s very therapeutic for me to be able to articulate my everchanging opinions and get feedback. For United Methodist clergy especially, I think it’s also vitally important for us to find creative ways to break the “Don’t Talk” rules that exist within every dysfunctional family. And let’s face it, I love our UM family, but we’re pretty dysfunctional.

What has been your best blogging experience?
The best blogging experiences have been the times when I’ve shared things going on in my head that feel creepy (like my obsession with finding the “right” Bible translation), and other people have shared that they experience similar mental anguish.

What would be your main advice to a novice blogger?
You might as well try it. It’s free. Also, something I read when I was getting started was that if you are trying to cultivate readership, update frequently and keep it brief.

If you only had time to read three blogs a day, what would they be?
My friend Brian Bill’s blog at http://pontiacbible.org/brian/index.php. Steve McCoy’s blog at http://www.stevekmccoy.com. And http://locustsandhoney.blogspot.com/. I used to check Shane Raynor’s blogs everyday, but he’s taken a break recently.

Who are your spiritual heroes?
It differs depending on what I’m going through. My friend Brian Bill for his focus and commitment to Christ. My friend Dennis Powers for his contentment in Christ. And Chuck Swindoll for his teaching ministry, through which I came to have faith in Christ.

What are you reading at the moment?
Francis Norwood’s “Story of American Methodism,” John Wesley’s “Standard Sermons,” and John Maxwell’s “The 360 Degree Leader.”

What is your favorite hymn and why?
“There is a Fountain Filled With Blood” - The blood hymns have always been my favorites because they remind me of why I can be sure I’m OK with God. This one in particular because of the melody and the story of the author, William Cowper, who struggled continually with depression and madness, but oft found solace in the blood of Jesus.

Can you name a major moral, political, or intellectual issue on which you've changed your mind?
I used to believe that the best president would be a born again president. I’m not so sure that’s necessarily true anymore. I’ve always been morally conservative and relatively uninformed politically. Intellectually, I used to really dig Platonism, but I don’t so much anymore.

What philosophical thesis do you think is most important to combat?
Religious pluralism

If you could effect one major change in the governing of your country, what would it be?
I wish that there was some way honesty and authenticity could be manifested in politics. It would be nice if we could be a “Christian nation,” but we’d then cease to exist. Someone would attack us, we’d turn the other cheek, and we’d be toast.

If you could effect one major policy change in the United Methodist Church, what would it be?
I think that we need to be open and unapologetic about the declaration of our doctrine as stated in the Articles of Religion and Confession of Faith. They’re very mainstream historic Christianity. I would like our denomination to at least be who our Discipline says we are, and not be so afraid to convict someone of heresy, and let him/her go.

What would be your most important piece of advice about life?
Absorb the Bible into every facet of your life. Memorize the heck out of it. Think about it all day, not to hurt other people, but to renew your mind. I have two kids and my only goals for them are that they become loving Christians and lovers of the Bible.

What, if anything, do you worry about?
I worry about why my church isn’t growing. Is it because of me?

If you were to relive your life to this point, is there anything that you'd do differently?
I would have studied more in college and seminary. I studied Greek and Hebrew in seminary. I wish so much that I had worked at retaining more of it.

Where would you most like to live (other than where you do now)?
Austin, Texas

What do you like doing in your spare time?
Reading books about Christian history, leadership, theology, eschatology. Watching movies.

What is your most treasured possession?
I would say my wife and kids, but I don’t think people count. So, definitely my Bible (NRSV).

What talent would you most like to have?
The ability to organize people

If you could have any three guests, past or present to dinner, who would they be?
Norman Vincent Peale, Hank Hanegraaff, Chuck Swindoll

UPDATE: Text changed at Jason's request.

4 comments:

DogBlogger said...

Okay, I know people years are different than dog years, but it still seems like the births of Jason's kids are too close together. It's just bugging me. (Adoption, or typo?) Curiosity isn't just for cats, you know.

Anonymous said...

What a relief! I'm glad you changed it, Jason!

Jason Woolever said...

We're part of a new superrace or human beings that can have a new baby every 3 months.

Anonymous said...

Greetings! This is Marshata Caradine-Randall your Lil Brother Bryson's Mom...LOL

Dr. Woolever told me that you were BLESSED with a Higher Calling Near my HOME TOWN. I would like to Congrad-U and the family!!!!

I want you to know that your MOM is N-DEED loved by our family like she was/is our MOM! You have a JEWEL in her. Thanks for lending her to EIU students. To experience her in a class is to be metamorphasized.....YOU WILL NOT BE THE SAME! LOVE YOU AND THE FAM!