Friday, September 08, 2006

I'm still awed

I was skeptical until I saw it for myself.

Personally, I've always been a Caravaggio fan, but then I tend to like dark, sober art.

But as my husband and I were visiting Forest Lawn Memorial Cemetery near Los Angeles over Labor Day weekend (I told you I like dark things -- he was merely being a good sport until he saw the grand architecture and fabulous grounds), looking for the final resting places of Clark Gable and Carole Lombard, we were invited to check out a photo exhibit at the cemetery's museum. Is that a great place, or what?

Then, as we made our way through the museum, past the gift shop area, we were taken aback.

There it was!

Bouguereau's "Song of the Angels." The original! Larger than life and seemingly glowing.

Absolutely stunning. Brilliant. (I'm out of adjectives here).

I don't know how that cemetery acquired its beautiful collection of art, sculptures and stained glass windows, but it's a gem of a place, and off the beaten path. I highly recommend it.

When we were finally done gazing in awe, we went and bought a magnet at the gift store. Now we can relive a bit of that moment each time we open the fridge.

I have to admit it, Bouguereau rocks!

Blessings,

Robin Russell

2 comments:

John said...

Your taste is impeccable, Robin!

Eduoard Manet, the Impressionist, was once asked who he thought the 20th Century would consider the greatest artist of the 19th Century. He unhesitatingly answered "Bouguereau."

Yet the master was forgotten until only recently.

Song of the Angels (or as it is sometimes known The Virgin and the Angels) is among my favorites.

The Ironic Catholic said...

That is stunning even as a small snippet online.