Friday, April 06, 2007

Reblogged: Sermon on Canvas -- The View from the Cross


Click on the picture for a larger view. It's worth it.

This painting is What Our Savior Saw from the Cross by Tissot.

What did he see? A Pharisee giggling. His own mother mourning. Women adoring him. A Roman soldier wondering. A Zealot jeering. But all eyes are on he who died for the sake of the world. They look at him with varied expressions; he looks at them only with love.

I am, at times, the Pharisee, the mother, the women, the soldier, and the Zealot. But regardless of whether I honor or mock his sacrifice, he unfailingly returns my gaze with love.

And can it be that I should gain
an interest in the Savior's blood!
Died he for me? who caused his pain!
For me? who him to death pursued?
Amazing love! How can it be
that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
Amazing love! How can it be
that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

-Charles Wesley


[reblogged]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The painting is so fascinating, yet so painful...

...seeing ourselves as Jesus sees us
...putting ourselves in His place
...and, yet, realizing that He loves us this much!

It's impossible to study this painting and ponder on His "Amazing Love" without a tear in your eye and a tug on your heart.

Matt said...

I've never seen this before, so thanks for sharing. Interesting that Jesus was crucified in the midst of so many different responses, yet still for each individual there. "Forgive them, Father..."

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Wonderful post. Have a blessed Easter.