Thursday, August 14, 2008

Methodist Blogger Profile: Mark Manis


Mark Manis of Along the Narrow Path

I'm a special education teacher in Northern Kentucky who accepted Christ in the spring of 2007. I have been married to my wife, Becky for almost 10 years and own 4 cats and a Labrador Retriever.

Why do you blog?
I blog to give my thoughts on things I experience and detail what is going on in my life.

What has been your best blogging experience?
My best blogging experience was when I wrote about vacation bible school.

What would be your main advice to a novice blogger?
Everyone has to start somewhere and don't get frustrated when you don't receive comments.

If you could read only three blogs a day, what would they be?
Sandpiper's Thoughts always inspires me with her thoughts. I enjoy reading Andy Bryan's Enter The Rainbow as well as Allan R. Bevere's blog.

Who are your spiritual heroes?
I would have to say for me, Job and Paul are my spiritual heroes. Considering what they went through and how they were tested, they give me hope when I feel like life is testing me.

What are you reading at the moment?
In the Bible, I am reading Isaiah. In books, I am reading Words to Live By by C.S. Lewis, and Encouragement for Life by Charles Swindoll, on top of my devotionals I read.

What is your favorite hymn and why?
"Here I Am, Lord" because that hymn speaks to me whenever I hear it.

Can you name a major moral, political, or intellectual issue on which you've ever changed your mind?
I used to be pro-death penalty, but I have changed my mind since coming to Christ. I feel that the taking of another human being isn't going to erase the crimes that person committed.

What philosophical thesis do you think is most important to combat?
I think we need to fight the idea that God is a member of either political party. I think that Christians in general have been taken for granted as sheep to politicians. God is neither a Republican nor a Democrat.

If you could effect one major change in the governing of your country, what would it be?
I would have term limits for both houses of Congress. If members of Congress knew that they could only be in office for a limited amount of time, I think more would get done.

If you could effect one major policy change within the UMC, what would it be?
I really don't have an opinion on the policies of the UMC.

What would be your most important piece of advice about life?
Life isn't fair, but how you react to what life throws at you will determine what happens next. If you give your problems to God, He will work in your life.

What, if anything, do you worry about?
I worry about family member's health and for people who are in need. I take it to God in prayer though and know He will work in His own way. Before I surrendered to Christ, I was a real worry wart.

If you were to relive your life to this point, is there anything that you'd do differently?
Nothing in the broad scope of things.

Where would you most like to live (other than where you do now)?
Greenup, Kentucky where I was originally from. I miss the beauty of Northeastern Kentucky.

What do you like doing in your spare time?
I enjoy writing poetry. I have one book self-published and I have started turning some of my work into hymns with the help of my pastor.

What is your most treasured possession?
Although not a possession, I value my wife and pets. My wife brings joy to me each and every day.

What talent would you most like to have?
I wish I had the talent to sing as beautiful as Chris Tomlin or Mac Powell of Third Day.

If you could have any three guests, past or present, to dinner, who would they be?
Jesus, Billy Graham, and Charles Wesley. It would be a treat to hear what they would have to say and what kind of writing Charles would have produced from that meeting.

No comments: