Monday, December 01, 2008

The Chainsaw Bayonet

As I've stated before, I'm not a fan of the chainsaw as an anti-zombie weapon. But I am intrigued by this variant: a small chainsaw mounted on a semi-automatic rifle as a bayonet.

[Video Link] It would make the rifle absurdly heavy, but it would also provide some safety in the event that a zombie gets within four or five feet -- when the rifle would become ineffective.

It'll be years before I get a gun, largely because of the start-up costs (e.g. rifle, training, ammunition, gun safe), but I still have my lustful eyes on the Marlin 1894c .357/.38. And I'm coming to think that it would actually a better anti-zombie weapon than the Max Brooks-endorsed M1 Carbine. Why? Just try finding .30 carbine ammo in a sporting goods store. If you take a chance and smash your way into a sporting goods store in a zombie-infested town, you have a lot better chance of finding .38 ammunition than .30 carbine.

But, of course, I am still an armchair rifleman and am only speculating.

Hat tip to Confederate Yankee via Ace.

6 comments:

Michael said...

But if you smash your way into a sporting goods store and the ammo you need is not available, surely there will be other weapons and compatible ammo available. Think, man!

Jeff the Baptist said...

12 gauge. Available everywhere.

Brooks weapons analysis is badly flawed. The M1 carbine isn't that accurate past 100 yards. And its too small to make a good club. And you can't get ammo for it easily. And it really isn't that reliable either. I'd much rather have my AR in the zombie apocalypse than my M1.

Theresa Coleman said...

New look to the blog. Nice.

John said...

Thanks, RevMommy.

DogBlogger said...

What's with the name change, though? I'm just curious, that's all.

John said...

It's a Shardik reference.