Sunday, March 01, 2009

Art Blogging: Spotlight on Linocuts

Today, I was in the mood to look at some linocuts. This was my own preferred medium back in high school when I was doing artwork of my own. In fact, in this, my post-Christian life, I now have enough time that I could seriously consider purchasing some supplies and getting back into the art habit.

I think that I like linography because of its sharp lines and contrasts of form and color. Linocuts are alive in a startling way.

Speedway, Sybil Andrews, 1934.

Reading, Fliss Watts, 2004.

Boethia, Eunice Agar.


Mark said...

John, you are describing yourself as "post Christian" now. Can you clarify what that means for you? I apologize if you have explained this, but I haven't been keeping up with blogging lately.

Dan Trabue said...

How are "linocuts" different than woodcuts? Forgive my art ignorance.

I'm sorta guessing it's just a different material than wood (linoleum??) but still the same process?

John said...

Hi Mark.

Read here, here, here, and here. And then e-mail me if you have more questions.

Dan -- yes, it's linoleum, which is a bit more pliable than wood. And as its structure is uniform, there's no problem with grain.

Otherwise, the printmaking process is the same.

Tom Jackson said...

There's a good Library of Congress woodcut exhibition here.

It looks like a neat form, but I'd have to learn to draw first.

Fliss said...

Hello - just wanted to say thanks for featuring one of my linocuts (Reading)- it's good to know that one's webspace is visited by real people sometimes.