Saturday, April 25, 2009

Art Blogging: Frank Frazetta

Frank Frazetta (1928- ) is an American fantasy artist. A child prodigy, Frazetta began formal studies at the age of eight at an art school in his native Brooklyn. When the school closed, he began working on his own in the comics industry at the age of sixteen. His breakthrough came in 1964 with his creation of a promotional poster for the movie What's New Pussycat?, earning him a national reputation. Frazetta has been prolific throughout the comics and commercial sectors of the art world, and is particularly famous for his book covers.

Warning: Many of Frazetta's works are somewhat erotic, if not blatantly so. Click with care.
This is one of Frazetta's many depictions of Conan the Barbarian, made for the novel Conan the Adenturer. His compelling depiction of the violence and savagery of the Hyborian world has been credited with reviving the franchise in the 1960s.
Frazetta, perhaps more than any other artist, depicts the heroic life that every man dreams of.

5 comments:

Craig L. Adams said...

Oh, yes. How I remember all those Frazetta covers on Edgar Rice Burroughs and Robert E. Howard books. (I think "Ace" was the publisher, but I could be wrong.) I'm sure people bought the books, in large part, because of the covers

James R. Rummel said...

"I'm sure people bought the books, in large part, because of the covers"I know I did!

Good post, John.

James

John said...

Yes, it was Ace. I think that I might have one such book around here somewhere, back from my Conan phase in high school.

Kevin said...

In my reloading room (along with three poster-sized photos from the space program) I have two framed Frazetta posters - The Death Dealer and Dark Kingdom. I've had them both since I was about 14 and see no reason to give them up just because I'm now 47.

John said...

Cool.

I had two Ben Dunn Ninja High School posters when I was a teenager, but lost them at some point. I wish that I still had them.