Thursday, April 02, 2009

Testicular Integrity

Glenn Reynolds bring us the story of a woman who was raped in a New York City subway station while two subway workers stood by and did nothing except call for the police on a cell phone. The woman's lawsuit was thrown out of court because the judge determined that the men had no obligation to help her other than calling the police. Reynolds writes:

In a previous day, in a different culture, such men would have been afraid of being called cowards for failing to help a woman under such circumstances. Nowadays, they’re probably proud of acting “sensibly.” (For the record, the story says their names are Harmodio Cruz and John Koort.) And in a different world, Judge Kevin Kerrigan would have been ashamed to describe picking up a phone as “prompt and decisive action.” But he probably thinks it is.

I haven't been in a fight since I was 19, and I've never been in a situation where my life was in danger from violence. So I can't say with any degree of certainty what I would do in this situation. But I do know what I should do, and what these two men should have done. And I do know what I should think of myself and what others should think of me if I fail to do so.

2 comments:

Jeff the Baptist said...

Yup. But what do you expect? The rapist probably had a weapon and that means he is better armed than any honest citizen in NYC. In a previous day and age, that would not have been the case either.

Anonymous said...

I was once a victim myself. I cannot imagine that someone would stand by and not help. Legally, no they were not obligated. Morally, is it bad for me to hope that someday karma will get them back?