Geek Dad has a great list:
10. “No real programmer would ever use PHP.” - This won’t work for every geek, of course, but for those it works on, it should work really well.
9. “Comic books are just for kids!” - I’m sure you’ve heard this one before—I know I certainly heard it often enough in high school, and even though it’s even less true now than it was then, I’m sure comic book afficionados still hear it today.
8. “Role-playing games are just for people who can’t deal with real life.” - There are, sadly, still a lot of people who think anyone who plays D&D must live in his parents’ basement and bathe once a month. Such people must be put straight, and immediately!
And a follow up post of 10 more:
10. “Internet Explorer is much better than Firefox—why else would it be the most popular browser?”
9. “Jar-Jar Binks was so funny, I wish he’d been in the original trilogy, too!”
8. “Homeopathy works, no matter what ’science’ has to say about it.”
7. “If open-source software was really that great, they’d charge for it.” - I’ve actually had people say this to me a few times over the years. As a software engineer who’s used lots of open-source projects, I’m particularly sensitive to this one.
6. “The best Star Trek film was number five, no question.”
Anyone who says #6 is asking for a beating, not an argument. Add your own in the comments.