Monday, June 15, 2009

Art Blogging: Art Adams

JD, who blogs at Proverbs 19:20, requested that I write an art blogging post about Art Adams, an American comic book artist. Adams' first introduction to comics came from bales of discarded comics that his mother would purchase for him at a thrift store. He began marketing his own work at conventions at the age of 17. Within two years, he was working professionally, and has thrived ever since.


Here is one of Adams' images of Power Girl, a DC superhero. Hmm. There is definitely something appealing about his work, although I can't quite put my finger on them. Uh, I mean 'it'.

I can't find a title for this touchingly romantic scene, but it reminds me so much of when my wife and I first met.

The Incredible Hulk. I'm more of a DC person than Marvel, though. Maybe just because I'm more familiar with the DC universe, so it's easy for me to slip into the middle of a story. I know that some Marvel people regard DC as a bit unsophisticated, but I don't care.


So, JD. Tell us about what you think of this artist? Why does his work speak to you?

2 comments:

JD said...

before mcfarlane came around, art adams had more detail in his art than any of the other artists at that time. his unique perspective in the x-men annuals, especially wolverine, was something i could enjoy. i have always enjoyed a bit of "suppposed realism" in my comics and art provided that, at a time, when his contemporaries did not (similar to what you may have read on wikipedia about him).

the one thing about seeing his artwork for me is that it brings to the surface an easier time in life. when i lived in louisiana and would visit my aunt in NO during the summer. i would walk to the local convenience store and buy commics. i can still tell you where i bought almost every issue of the comics that i own.

PAX
JD

some of my favs:

Xmen100

I have this one: Xmen classic

Notice how some of his detail is similar to McFarlane at this point. Dark Chylde

John said...

Yeah, I get that. Comics can bring back good memories.