Thursday, December 17, 2009

Dungeons & Dragons for Microsoft Surface is Mind-Blowingly Awesome



I'm not sure how to describe Microsoft Surface, but here's my attempt: it's a multi-user touch-sensitive computer tool that is interactive in so many ways. And students at Carnegie-Mellon University have developed a prototype Dungeons & Dragons program that works with it.

The advantages of computer gaming are immediate calculation and excellent graphics. The advantage of old-fashioned tabletop gaming is complete flexibility of storyline. This program appears to synthesize the two in an amazing way.

Link via CrunchGear

2 comments:

James R. Rummel said...

Those tables are really cool. $12K for the cheaper versions. I drive a car that I bought for $7K, and it took me four years to pay it off.

One of the regulars at my weekly gaming group moved out of state. He still plays through his desktop at his new home. One of the guys still here uses a wi-fi connection and Skype to connect on our end. It is almost like he's in the room.

Cutting edge high tech? Hardly. But it is about what we can afford.

So who cares if they develop gaming software for these tables? What difference does it make? It isn't like I've ever even seen one, let alone had the chance to put it through its paces.

If they ever get the cost down below $1K, then I'll care.

John said...

Consider how cheap and powerful PCs became over a ten year period. We just might see a gaming table for under $1K in our lifetimes.

You and I can be old geezers rolling holographic twenty-siders at something as fancy as this.