Saturday, April 30, 2005

Magazine Review: Plugged In

As a libertarian, Dr. James Dobson and his extreme statism make my skin crawl. Yet I must admit that Focus on the Family has produced a fine magazine that I subscribe to at my church library: Plugged In.

Plugged In is a magazine for parents and is filled with reviews of popular media, such as movies, music, and books that kids might encounter. There are frequent spotlights on Christian materials, such as Christian rock bands, but most of the magazine is devoted to studying the media that kids actually encounter in the world, and discerning its moral cleanliness.

One of the most impressive features is its impartiality. Reviewers routinely search for and find 'pro-social content' in the vilest of gangsta rap albums. I'm sure that if they ever reviewed Penthouse that they would find something nice to say about it.

Plugged In is an oustanding magazine for church libraries, and I highly recommend it.

No comments: