Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Rick Warren: Chocolate Pudding or Socket Wrench?

Shane Raynor has a long post & comment thread up about Rick Warren.

The most balanced and clear post that I've ever seen on the subject of this popular and controversial preacher is by Rev. Ed:

I wanted my church to go through the 40 Days for a number of reasons. First and foremost, I felt that this was what the Lord wanted me to do. But beyond that, I wanted to encourage the people to take the process of discipleship more seriously and to begin a few small groups to make God more a part of their everyday lives. Because many in the congregation knew people who had gone through the 40 Days at another church, they were receptive to the idea and it helped many to commit to the whole process. My goal was not to make our church a "little Saddleback" since after all our congregation would likely fit in just one bathroom at Saddleback Community Church! My goal was to encourage the people in their walk with Christ.

Read the whole thing. Ed certainly makes a lot more sense that my bizarre post title.

1 comment:

rev-ed said...

Thanks for the link, John. I guess I've gotta go to Shane's to see what the wrench and pudding are all about, huh? ;)