Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Happy Marriage is a Delusion

Or so say some psychologists. The key to a healthy marriage is to delude yourself into thinking that your partner is actually a better person than he/she is. Even though Jeff is not married yet, he rightly understands this assessment to be nonsense:

First, this isn't exactly a new idea. Chances are, if you have been to a few weddings recently, you have heard 1 Corinthians 13. "Love is patient, love is kind..." and more importantly to this topic "love keeps no record of wrongs..." Might I suggest that this is not a case of forgetfulness or delusion that allows couples to stay together but love allowing for forgiveness and acceptance. If you are continually holding on to your list of grievances it will rip your marriage apart. That is obvious. However if you really love someone you won't be holding on to those memories of past wrong, you will be holding on to memories of the good times instead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The psychologists are wrong, Sweetie. You really are the perfect man for me. I admit to many delusions, but this is one area where I see quite clearly.

Anonymous said...

Happy marriages take work, but are clearly possible - thankfully, my own parents demonstrated that to me growing up. I have some great role models to follow in Christian marriage as I just had my own wedding last weekend.