Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Methodist Blogger Profile: Chris Morgan

Posted by Picasa


Chris Morgan of Assembled Reflections

Why do you blog?
I share written weekly reflections with those in the parish I serve, and I thought it would be nice to offer opportunities for feedback. Blogging presents an interactive forum where this can occur. So far, the people in the pews have been somewhat shy in contributing—I suppose I’m not controversial enough. But I also sense that blogging could become something of a spiritual discipline, an ongoing journal reflecting the seasons of my spiritual journey.

What has been your best blogging experience?
My best blogging experience has been “meeting” others, particularly other committed United Methodists with diverse points of view. The blogosphere offers a space where ideas can be discussed seriously, and the asynchronous nature of the medium allows nearly anyone with an internet connection and a few spare minutes to make significant contributions.

What would be your main advice to a novice blogger?
I am a novice blogger.

If you only had time to read three blogs a day, what would they be?
(1) Locusts & Honey. Interesting profiles, the invaluable weekly Methodist blog rundown, and John’s straight-shootin’ style.
(2) The Richardson Boys (Hit the Back Button to Move Forward & A Soldier’s Blog). Ok, it’s true. I’m cheating by grouping the Richardsons, Gavin & Shawn, together as one. Sue me. I like these blogs for different reasons: Gavin, because he converses with monastic tradition and asks how this informs contemporary spirituality; Shawn, because I am inspired by this thoughtful Christian soldier who has found a unique way to communicate his experiences to friends and family back home.
(3) Untied Methodist. Agree with him or not, Dean Snyder is an affable, articulate spokesperson for the Christian left who deserves a hearing.

Who are your spiritual heroes?
The Wesleys: Their genius, in my mind, was the wedding of heart and mind in spirituality.
John Paul II: He followed Truth wherever he believed it led and courted neither the political left nor right.
Carlo Carretto: This desert monk communed with the triune God, and has helped me in my quest to do the same.

What are you reading at the moment?
The God who Comes, by Carlo Carretto. I am into all things Carretto, one of my spiritual heroes.
The Horse and His Boy, by C. S. Lewis (with my daughter, though I’ll admit I enjoy the Narnia series immensely).
The biblical book of Daniel, written by anonymous sources in the Second Temple Period and edited by an anonymous redactor some time later.
A Biblical History of Israel, by Iain Provan, V. Philips Long, & Tremper Longman III. I am more impressed by the volume’s critique of the art of historiography than I am by its proposed history of Israel.
Introducing the Old Testament, by John Drane. A text I’m requiring for a course I will teach in the fall.

What is your favorite hymn and why?
“Children of the Heavenly Father.” This hymn reminds me of the blessedness of resting in the God whose intentions toward me are good and whose commitment to me is everlasting.

Can you name a major moral, political, or intellectual issue on which you've changed your mind?
My close friends know a motto of mine: “I always reserve the right to change my mind.” A specific example where I have changed my mind would be capital punishment—I am no longer in favor of it. I am pro-life, be that the life of the fetus or the criminal. I have come to believe that life is precious, period.

What philosophical thesis do you think is most important to combat?
The underlying philosophical principle of determinism, a principle seldom clearly expressed but appearing everywhere. Sex-ed classes assume that because teens have sexual urges, they must inevitably act upon them. Criminal defendants claim that their actions are determined by their upbringing. “We can’t help it,” everyone seems to say about something.

I, on the other hand, believe quite strongly in personal responsibility. No one forces a man to have an affair with his secretary. Those who are fired because they do not come to work on time have no one to blame but themselves. I am certain everyone will encounter the unexpected, even the unfair. But we must own our actions and reactions; we are not all innocent victims of circumstance. I believe a great deal of personal growth takes place when we recognize our capacity for choosing wisely and take responsibility for doing so.

If you could affect one major change in the governing of your country, what would it be?
I would try to provide universal health care and proper nutrition for all children under 18.

If you could affect one major policy change in the United Methodist Church, what would it be?

I will hedge on this question, because my thoughts on this subject are not yet fully formed. I believe we should have a conversation regarding guaranteed appointments. On the one hand, the guarantee permits clergy to speak with a prophetic voice and still provide for their families. On the other hand, it often creates scenarios in which clergy who have a history of damaging churches are dispatched to other churches to inflict similar harm there. I think there is probably a middle ground someplace—keep the guarantee in a general sense, but in specific cases require a program of CPE-like supervision to preserve that guarantee.

What would be your most important piece of advice about life?
Cooperate with God.

What, if anything, do you worry about?
Germs. Those I love. Mobile phone radiation. Spiders. Growing old without accomplishing anything of significance. Sodium content. Sunburn.

If you were to relive your life to this point, is there anything that you'd do differently?
There are a handful of people I have hurt or needlessly offended. If I could relive my life, there are several specific moments when I would commit myself to being more thoughtful and gracious.

Where would you most like to live (other than where you do now)?
The mountains of North Carolina or Tennessee.

What do you like doing in your spare time?
I like spending time with my family, running, reading, and praying. Oh, and occasionally blogging.

What is your most treasured possession?
I know, it sounds almost corny coming from a minister, but it’s true. The Bible is my most treasured possession. My identity is intimately liked with its stories and its faith, and I simply cannot imagine life without it.

What talent would you most like to have?
I would like a black belt in karate. But I would like the end result without the process it takes to achieve it.

If you could have any three guests, past or present to dinner, who would they be?
Jesus, Carlo Carretto, and William F. Buckley. I cannot even begin to imagine the direction the conversation might take.

3 comments:

gavin richardson said...

i say it's cool for chris to group my brother and myself together. until he (my bro) got married we were known as 'the richardson boys' we even had a website with that url.

Anonymous said...

Are you from North Carolina? And is your middle name Alan? 'Cause if you are this is too freaky...

John said...

If you're asking me, the answers are no. If you're asking Gavin or Chris, I have no idea.