Friday, April 14, 2006

The Passíusálmar on the Crucifixion

In the 33rd hymn of the Passíusálmar, Hallgímur Pétursson wrote of the crucifixion of Christ:

Let me, without lamenting,
Be crucified with Thee.
My sinful ways repenting,
Thy servant I would be.
This is my earnest plea:
Uphold my spirit, serving
With loyalty unswerving
For all eternity.

“With our transgressors numbered,”
In Nature’s last long sleep
Thy holy body slumbered,
Passing through waters deep.
Angels their watch did keep.
And now Thou numberest me
Amongst Thy redeemed to be.
What Thou hast sown, I reap.

Almighty Lord, your sacrifice is for me. Your sufferings are for my sins. I am unworthy of redemption, and yet you offer up the bounty for my evil. Forgive me, O Lord, for the nails that I drive into your hands.

Amen.

No comments: