Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Methodist Blogger Profile: Andy Bryan

Posted by Picasa

Andy Bryan of Enter the Rainbow

I am a United Methodist pastor in North Kansas City, Missouri. I graduated from seminary in May of 2004 from Saint Paul School of Theology here in Kansas City, and will be ordained at the annual conference of 2007. Erin and I have been married for 12 years, and have two fabulous children. Corneille is 7 and Wesley is 4. I grew up in the United Methodist church. In fact, my dad is a United Methodist pastor. In FACT, my brother (also a UM pastor) and I represent the seventh generation in our family to serve as Methodist clergy.

Why do you blog?
I blog in order to clarify my own thoughts, mostly. I do it as a reflective discipline. When I read something I have written and I am able to say, “Yes, I agree with that person,” it is assuring, especially when I remember that “that person” was me! Another way to name it might be “Theological Journaling.”

What has been your best blogging experience?
I haven’t been at it very long, so I don’t have a great well of experience from which to draw like some other bloggers do. Okay, this might sound cheesy, but I love it when my mom comments on my blog entries. She has a way of writing her comments that makes it feel like she is reaching right out through the screen and tousling my hair like I was five years old again. “Ooo, isn’t he so cute! He’s got his own little blog.” (I love you, mom!) But seriously, I feel good knowing that I am making her proud of me.

What would be your main advice to a novice blogger?
Dive in! Write what you feel, get to the point, and keep it short.

If you only had time to read three blogs a day, what would they be?
Well, it goes without saying that Locust & Honey of course is right at the top of my list. But in addition to this site I’d have to say…
1) I love Real Live Preacher – what an amazing storyteller.
2) I would feel bad about leaving out Jesus’ General, which always makes me laugh.
3) And for an opinion different than my own spoken in a more-often-than-not fair and balanced voice, I suppose I would say Wesley Blog.

Who are your spiritual heroes?
I feel like the “Children’s Sermon answer” should be Jesus, so I’ll go ahead and list him. (Tee, hee. Actually, I’d list him, anyway – just trying to be funny.)
Others: Charles & John Wesley, in that order. Gustavo Gutierrez, who gave content to my form. Bishop Monk Bryan, my grandfather.

What are you reading at the moment?
I jumped on the Gilead bandwagon. Not a good decision, but at least I’m almost done with it.I am really loving Marginality by Jung Young Lee.But the most important book I am reading right now is The Birds of Storm Hill, which my wife and I are reading to our children a half a chapter per night.

What is your favorite hymn and why?
“And Can It Be” by Charles Wesley
No more sublime matching of hymn text and tune is to be found in our hymnal. And the theology of the poem is without question Charles’ most profound exploration of the experience of the grace of God.

Can you name a major moral, political, or intellectual issue on which you've changed your mind?
I have swung back and forth several times on the issue of war: from youthful fascination to college peace freak to revolutionary liberation guy to Iraq War protester to “love the troops / hate the war.” Serving as pastor for B-2 Bomber pilots in Warrensburg, Missouri really deepened and enriched my reflections on war.

What philosophical thesis do you think is most important to combat?
Pharisaic rigidity. Jesus fought against the “my way or the highway” people of his day, and lo and behold, they are still around today.

If you could affect one major change in the governing of your country, what would it be?
The elimination of the two party system. In democracies where coalition building is necessary for political survival, the governments are much less ideologically driven. We are diverse people; we should have a whole bunch of political parties that reflect that diversity.

If you could affect one major change in the United Methodist Church, what would it be?
The elimination of the clause that states homosexuality is “incompatible with Christian teaching,” which would subsequently lead to the allowance for marriage and ordination of people who are homosexual. No single clause has caused the denomination more strife than this one.

What would be your most important piece of advice about life?
“Slow down, you move too fast.
You got to make the morning last,
just kicking down the cobblestones.
Life, I love you. All is groovy.” (Simon & Garfunkle)

What, if anything, do you worry about?
I worry about the world in which my children will live as adults. My sweet children. I don’t worry about them per se, but about the world that will be their home.

If you were to relive your life up to this point, is there anything that you'd do differently?
I’d spend less time preparing for the future, and more time living in the moment. (Somebody call Hallmark, I think I have an idea for a card!)

Where would you most like to live (other than where you do now)?
I am a log cabin in a pine forest by a mountain stream person. (A log cabin with internet access, incidentally.) I’m not particular about the mountains; any range will do. It would have to be, at most, a half an hour’s drive to a town, too. Somewhere we could have a few good friends to hang out with, some kids for my kids to play with, etc. But with lots and lots of trees.

What do you like doing in your spare time?
I am a musician. (In my pre-seminary life I was a church choir director.) I sing and play the piano. I also compose. My musical passion is writing and singing contemporary tunes for traditional hymn texts. I play and sing in a band at my church that presents my songs in worship every so often.I love to take pictures. I just got a super nice digital camera that I am still learning to use. Canon EOS Rebel Digital – it is sweet!
My family loves to travel. We are the kind of people who plan next year’s vacation on the way home from this year’s.
Other than that, doing just about anything with my wife and kids is fun for me in my spare time. Even going to Disney World!

What is your most treasured possession?
I honestly can’t think of any one possession I treasure. I have lots of stuff that I enjoy, but nothing comes to mind as a true “treasure.”

What talent would you most like to have?
Telekinesis would be cool.

If you could have any three guests, past or present, to dinner, who would they be?
Fred Rogers. Bono. Francis Asbury. (But not all at the same dinner. One at a time. Although I do wonder what Bono would have to say to Mr. Rogers.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you would eliminate the clause referring to homosexuality from our book of discipline, you would also have to eliminate it from the Bible!Are you suggesting that getting along with certain people is more important than the word of God?