Friday, July 08, 2005

A Privately-Funded Solution to Africa's Woes

Why be dependent on governments? As I noted previously, the funds poured into Live 8 could be spent more effectively by hiring mercenary companies to liberate and build up African countries. Max Boot agrees:

Any real solution to Africa's problems must focus on the root causes of poverty — mainly misgovernment. Instead of pouring billions more down the same old rat holes, maybe the Live 8 crew should promote a more innovative approach: Use the G-8's jillions 2 hire mercenaries 4 the overthrow of the 6 most thuggish regimes in Africa. That would do more to help ordinary Africans than any number of musical extravaganzas.

Hat tip: Glenn Reynolds

2 comments:

John said...

Thanks for commenting. No, I meant no sarcasm. Of course, I would prefer that democratic nations undertake this effort with their military power. But failing that, a private mercenary effort would be better than nothing. In years past, it helped stop the genocide in Sierra Leone.

And anyway, as I wrote (I thought fairly clearly, but perhaps not), significant follow-through would be necessary afterwards.

Lifting people up out of bondage and poverty sounds imminently Christian to me.

John said...

Well, John, I'm not proposing that such a fundraising effort should blow all of its money on the actual military activity.