Thursday, November 17, 2005

Fact Checking

I am giddy with excitement over what might be my first "we'll fact-check your ass" moment as a blogger. Might. Over here, John of Wuzzadem [ed. -- note that this link leads to a photoshopped picture of Tom Delay giving the middle finger and may not be worksafe at church] has Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons cite the word 'klabdak' as the Klingon word for 'bulls#@t". I grabbed my handy Klingon/English dictionary (Simon and Schuster, 1985) -- which, of course, I always keep nearby just for such circumstances -- and I found no word called 'klabdak'! Trying to remember my rusty Klingon, I broke it down into constituent suffixes and prefixes, but again found no root words for 'klabdak'.

I noted this fact in a comment (sorry, but Wuzzadem doesn't appear to have permalinks for individual comments), to which John of Wuzzadem responded that he had a more recent edition from wa'SaD Hutvatlh HutmaH jav, which means "1995". Can anyone with access to an up-to-date Klingon/English dictionary confirm this translation of 'klabdak'? Journalistic standards of integrity are at stake.


Meanwhile, Ian simply refuses to take this issue seriously:

The geek irony overload of fact-checking the Klingon language used by the Comic Book Guy is making flames come out of my ears.

6 comments:

John said...

John,

This once again proves how geeky Trekkies are.

No group of people waste more time bickering over pointless issues than a room (or blog) full of Trekkies.

Get a life! Get a hobby! Stop living vicariously through something you've seen on T.V.

Best Regards,
Fantasy Football Fans of America

John said...

My hobby is no more ridiculous than Michael Daniel's doily sewing or Beth Quick's exotic beer collection.

Andy B. said...

John, I just want to say that the sheer volume of material you have posted here in the last week is overwhelming. How in the world do you ever have time to nurture your inner geek if all you do is sit an the computer all day and ... oh ... I see ... never mind!
- Andy B.

John said...

I outsource it to illegal aliens.

Anonymous said...

I have the most recent edition of the Klingon dictionary and I can find no such word. The closest approximation might be " nep'a'meyna' " or strong lies (roughly translated, with the base noun nep, with 'a' , the augmentative suffix, folowed by mey, the plural suffix, then na' the suffix meaning definite, undoubtedly.)

John said...

Aha! So we have exposed Wuzzadem for forging National Guard doc-...er, Klingon words!

Let the scandal-mongering begin!