Friday, November 18, 2005

How Did You Get Engaged?

I met Katherine a week after I began working for the Jacksonville Public Library. We sat next to each other in a 2-hour training seminar and at the end, I asked her out to dinner -- that night. We've been together ever since.

When I decided to marry her, I resolved to make our proposal moment special. I wanted to propose to her while at the edge of the Cummer Gardens overlooking the St. Johns River. But I couldn't get our schedules to mesh. Frustrated I said to myself, "Enough! I'm going to propose to her tonight!"

Katherine was working an evening shift at her branch library, so I drove out there and stopped at Starbucks on the way, where I picked up 2 slices of cheesecake. I arrived 15 minutes before closing time and helped shut down the library. Afterwards, we sat on the porch by the alligator pond (remember, this is Florida) where we ate and chatted. Then I got down on one knee, pulled out the ring, and popped the question.

She screamed. When she stopped, I asked her, "Is that a yes?"

"YES!"

And so it was. How about you? How did you get engaged?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, You know I really don't know how it happened. We kind of talked about it and all of a sudden we were married. That was 25 years ago and were still going strong. So I guess it doesn't matter how you do it as long as it's the right person.

Jeff the Baptist said...

Fortunately I've already written this up.

Willie Deuel said...

I said, "Well, I knocked you up so I guess I have to."

Not really. Where did I steal that from? I'm thinking it was Cheers (Carla describing Nick's proposal)

Derek said...

Brief post HERE, and then the full story HERE, and pictures .

see-through faith said...

nice thoughts here

so different in Finland though. You choose rings together. plain gold bands.

Josh Frank said...

I proposed during my birthday party with Jillian's family all gathered. After they sang to me and I blew out my candles, I made a little speech saying I knew my family backin Illinois rests easier knowing I'm surrounded by such welcoming, loving people; and that I thought it was appropriate to do this with them around. Then I turned to her (remember, just after blowing out the candles) and asked her to make my birthday wish come true, "Would you marry me?"

Her response: "Are you sh**ing me?" Classic. Oh, and that meant yes, by the way!