Saturday, January 14, 2006

Methodist Blogger Profile: Nate Loucks

Nate Loucks of Stop. Then Read

My name is Nate Loucks and I'm the Next Generation Pastor at Lamb's Chapel in LaPorte, IN. I graduated from Bethel College (IN) last May with degrees in Biblical Studies and Ministry. I minored in Philosophy and Greek & Hebrew. One Sunday four years ago, snow filled the roads of our Northwestern Indiana town and the pastor at Lamb's Chapel could not come to preach. He was a professor at Notre Dame and couldn't make the nearly 30 minute drive because of the snow drifting over the highways. The people in the church, knowing my uncle Jay from when he attended the church years earlier, heard that Jay was an elder in a larger church nearby. They gave him a call an hour before service and he came and taught. There was 25 people in the congregation.

Jay started attending the small congregation and worked with the local pastor until the pastor was leaving for the east coast. The church decided that they wanted Jay, a plumber by trade, as their pastor. The DS approved such a move and thus started Jay becoming the pastor. After a few months and upon my return from China, my uncle Jay called and asked if I'd come and help him out. I did. Three years later, I've graduated and now I'm serving full-time. It's been the most rewarding yet challenging experience in my life. Four years down the road and we've experienced some growth (160 in weekly attendance) and have had a great time growing with our community.

Why do you blog?
When I was in high school, my friends and I started a terrible rock band. We didn't want to be terrible, it's just how it ended up working out. One day while we were thinking about ways to make our website more trendy and appealing to the four fans that tolerated us, we started “band member” blogs. It started on livejournal and then I moved to xanga. The band has retired since (waiting on my call from the Hall of Fame) and I keep blogging because I like it. There's a strange community amongst bloggers that I enjoy.

What has been your best blogging experience?
Every time I get an email that says, “Hey, I read your blog and I like it.” My first response is usually, “Seriously? My blog? Why?” It puts me in a good mood, though.

What would be your main advice to a novice blogger?
Convey your personality in your writing. Don't try and write as someone you are not. Be honest and authentic.

If you could only read three blogs a day, what would they be?
I'd first check the Blue Gray Sky (bluegraysky.blogspot.com). It's a really great Notre Dame football blog. I love the Fighting Irish. Then I'd check Shane at Wesleyblog. He's pretty neat. After that, and knowing I only had one blog left, I'd flip a coin and choose between Vodkapundit (www.vodkapundit.com), Locusts and Honey, or Finding Rhythm (www.findingrhythm.com)

Who are your spiritual heroes?
Jesus. Gene Carpenter. Jay Loucks. Rich Mullins. John Wesley.

What are you reading at the moment?
I reread Blue Like Jazz last week and enjoyed it again. I finished Flashbang by Mark Steele a few weeks ago and really found it a great read. The staff at LC are reading Leadership Wisdom from Unlikely Voices by Dave Fleming. I enjoy it. I have a problem of not being critical enough of the books I read. Usually, I'll enjoy any book in some capacity even when others don't.

What is your favorite hymn and why?
I'm ashamedly very unfamiliar with many hymns. I've probably read more hymns than I've sung. To tell you the truth, the only hymns I really know by heart are those on Johnny Cash's “My Mother's Hymn Book” cd. And, on that cd, “Just As I Am” happens to be my favorite hymn.

Can you name a major moral, political, or intellectual issue on which you've ever changed your mind?
I once believed that it was the government's responsibility to take care of the poor and impoverished in our nation. “If the government would give more money and more time to taking care of the plight of many of the less fortunate people in our society, we wouldn't have the problems we do,” I thought. Then, I had a major shift and came to the conclusion that I will not put my responsibility to love and care for the poor upon anyone else but me. The challenge to be more like Jesus is mine, not the government's.

What philosophical thesis do you think is most important to combat?
Individualism. The idea that we have to make the most out of ourselves and do whatever we can to further our own agenda. Thus far, in my life, I've learned that we cannot function properly as a family, Church, or society when an individual places himself at the forefront of his own agenda.

If you could effect one major change in the governing of your country, what would it be?
I'm not naïve enough to believe that I have the solution to our nation's problems. To be quite honest, I'm not sure what one change I'd make.

If you could effect one major policy change in the United Methodist Church, what would it be?
I think we have too many committees. Is there a MBP Questionnaire Committee

What would be your most important piece of advice about life?
Love God and love others.

What, if anything, do you worry about?
I worry about the next big change in my life. When I was a teenager, my mother died unexpectedly and, for the first time, I felt insecure about the future. My insecurities about my future usually don't manifest themselves into much but, at times, I can experience a bit of anxiety about “what's next”.

If you were to relive your life to this moment, is there anything that you'd do differently?
I don't think so. I'm very blessed with my family, friends, and Church. I wouldn't want to risk any one of things by changing something about my past. I'm glad my life has lead be to this point.

Where would you most like to live (other than where you do now)?
Since my wife is Romanian, I'd love to spend some time with her family and friends to experience her culture. When I was in college, I spent a semester in Beijing, China and really enjoyed my time their. I wouldn't mind returning some day.

What do you like doing in your spare time?
I like going to sporting events. Reading is fun. I read blogs and listen to podcasts. And, I watch Lost.

What is your most treasured possession?
My wedding ring. It is a constant reminder of the relationship I have with Ema the wife. My wife is incredible. You should meet her.

What talent would you most like to have?
I'd love to be a rock star. There are many talents that rock stars have that I don't. They can sing and/or play the guitar. Usually, great rock stars can write great songs; I can't. That seems to be getting in the way of my rise to rock stardom.

If you could have any three guests, past or present, to dinner, who would they be?
My mother, I'd love to have a conversation with her again. Abraham Lincoln. I think Honest Abe and I could be pretty good friends. Johnny Cash. A party with my mother, Abe Lincoln, and myself is completed perfectly by Johnny Cash. He'd play his guitar and I'd sing along with him. Abe can watch.

2 comments:

Andy B. said...

John,
Good profile, but who is that silly looking man in the picture of the stunningly beautiful woman that you posted?

Anonymous said...

Seriously, who's that by my wife!