Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Let's Drive Up Traffic!

Paul Verhoeven, director of the new Basic Instinct movie, blames American 'puritanism' for the box office failure of his movie:

Anything that is erotic has been banned in the United States," said the Dutch native. "Look at the people at the top (of the government). We are living under a government that is constantly hammering out Christian values. And Christianity and sex have never been good friends."

Of course, the guy is Dutch, so you can imagine that his standards for "erotic" may be a wee bit more creative than that of many Americans. As John Hinderaker (hat tip) suggests:

Here's another theory: maybe Hollywood is indeed so depraved that the normal American culture, sex-drenched though it may be, looks Puritanical by contrast. Scary, if true.

Which brings me to a more important issue than the hypersexualization of America: my traffic stats. I'm in an awful slump, having lost about 30% of my normal traffic, which used to hit 200 individual sources on a daily basis. Not anymore, and I blame Gavin for this problem.

Anyway, Verhoeven is partially correct: we Americans are generally more morally conservative than our counterparts in Western Europe, where, for example, gay marriage is not only legal, but mandatory.

Still, even here, sex sells. So I'm going to drive up my traffic stats with what Americans want: hot, naked piano leg action.



Hubba, hubba!



And now for the close-in shot:



That'll bring the numbers in. Rev. Ed is taking the same approach by Googlebombing himself. Remember pastors: numbers are all that matter. Drag the warm bodies into the church. Make that traffic counter tick over.

UPDATE: Jeff the Baptist is glad to pay $9 to see Sharon Stone's "moldy oldies". I don't share the sentiment when I can find buck-naked pianos for free.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My 10 visitors a day pale in comparison.

Rev Paul Martin said...

Now that was a real turn on!

Mark said...

John,

If you showed naked trumpets, would you be dealing in hornography?

rev-ed said...

I charge fraud! None of those piano legs were actually naked! C'mon... strip off the stain!

John said...

Sorry, Ed. I'm not really into that "shaved" thing.

Anonymous said...

John,
I can't believe you have stooped so low just for ratings! We all know that you're the tops and the rest of us reside in your shadow.

Andy B. said...

Yes, you've discovered the key to good blogging.

Anonymous said...

John,

Just so you know, I read your blog everyday and you're my fave metho blogger. And thank goodness you haven't turned commercial like Raynor!

John said...

Thanks, Mom!