Thursday, May 04, 2006

Methodist Blogger Profile: Jan Kindle


Jan Kindle of Kindlings


Jan is a graduate of Indiana University and Clarion University and works as a part-time elementary art teacher at Beaver County Christian School. She is married to co-blogger Rev. Christopher T. Kindle of Concord United Methodist Church.

Why do you blog?
Chris, my husband, got into blogging and I have to admit that at first I thought “this is for teenagers not thirty-somethings”. But then, people started to comment to his blog and there was actual dialogue happening. My tune changed as I realized it was fun and valuable for us too! And so, I began to contribute to his blog regularly. I find it to be a creative outlet to express my feelings and thoughts. Also, I think it is a great way for friends and family to keep up with our ministry.

What has been your best blogging experience?
On my very first blog, I wrote a prayer and someone commented that they were going to claim it as their own that day too. I thought, “Wow!” how cool that it helped me and someone else too!

What would be your main advice to a novice blogger?
“The pen is mightier than the sword” Words are powerful, so use wisdom when writing. You never know who will read your blog and how it might affect them.

If you only had time to read three blogs a day, what would they be?
http://mcilweb.blogspot.com/
http://brettprobert.blogspot.com/

Who are your spiritual heroes?
My Mom
Paul (in N.T.)
Beth Moore

What are you reading at the moment?
Reaching for the Invisible God by Philip Yancey

What is your favorite hymn and why?
“Jesus Loves Me” (I know it’s more of a children’s song but it’s in the hymnal.) It’s my favorite because it’s so simple yet so profound. It gets right to the heart of it all… “Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so!” That’s just awesome! Isn’t it?

Can you name a major moral, political, or intellectual issue on which you've ever changed your mind?
Chris helped me see why the death penalty is wrong and so I did change my mind about that issue.

What philosophical thesis do you think is most important to combat?
(I don’t know the name for it but I’ll describe it.) People just want to live their lives for themselves and be happy. Unfortunately they are looking at all the wrong things to make them happy. It’s never enough and so they try something else to make them happy. It’s an empty cycle of self-gratification. How do you convince people that they will find true joy and happiness by actually giving that all up and dying to self? It just doesn’t seem to make logical sense to human beings, yet it’s the very thing that will save us.

If you could effect one major change in the governing of your country, what would it be?
I would like to see us get back to public service instead of political careers. Once you serve for a term then you should go back to your regular job. I think the government started to get corrupt when we turned it into a career opportunity rather than a sacrifice. Politicians spend more time campaigning for tomorrow then getting the job done they’ve been given today.

If you could effect one major policy change in the United Methodist Church?
I wish pastors were appointed to a charge with of a long-term contract. That way you know we’ll be here 5 years, 10 years, or whatever. Once the contract is up then you may be considered for another term at the same charge or a move might be best. I just don’t like the feeling from year to year that life can suddenly change. I think everyone would relax more because you know your going to be there for said number of years. I believe pastors and laypersons would invest more into each other because they know they have time to build relationships. I know, I know, there are countless reasons why this is a bad idea but I’m just saying (from a pastor’s wife point of view) how I feel (at times) about the situation.

What would be your most important piece of advice about life?
Accept Jesus as Lord and Savior and then everyday trust in Him for everything.

What, if anything, do you worry about?
I don’t really worry too much anymore, but if I do it’s usually about being misunderstood.

If you were to relive your life to this point, is there anything that you'd do differently?
Listen less to the “nay-sayers”.
Learn and actually practice skills more.
“Go for it!” more.

Where would you most like to live (other than where you do now)?
Someplace that is 75 degrees all year round but still has the beauty of all four seasons. (I know it’s impossible, but a girl can dream can’t she?)

What do you like doing in your spare time?
I like taking walks with Chris.
Painting artwork.
Reading.

What is your most treasured possession?
My Bible.

What talent would you most like to have?
I would like to play the piano like a concert pianist.

If you could have any three guests, past or present, to dinner, who would they be?
Jesus
Beth Moore
I think it would be cool to meet and talk to my great-grandparents.

2 comments:

Betty Newman said...

Ah, a female Christian artist - I love it! ("Pastor's wife - artist" now that's a new one, though.)

I have 3 female friends who are terrific Christian artists. Although we are few and far between, it's encourging to know there are a few around!

I should share my poem "Heavenly Artists' Guild" with you. It ends with "Well done, thou good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a few good paintings, I shall make you artist over many..."

Keep up the good work!

Betty

Jan said...

thanks betty!