Friday, July 18, 2008

Recipe Blogging: Pickled Eggs

I've decided to make pickled eggs. I figure that if they're good enough for Moe's Tavern, then they're good enough for me. I've never pickled anything, but it looks like it's fairly simple. This was the recipe that I used:

12 hard-boiled eggs
2 pints of vinegar
½ tsp of ginger
½ tsp of black pepper
½ tsp of allspice


Place the shelled eggs in a jar. Boil the other ingredients and let simmer for ten minutes. Pour it into the jar and let it sit for a month.

Here's a picture of the finished product:

I guess that I'll find out in a month or so how well it turned out.

Have you ever pickled any foods?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This "sit for a month" step involves a refrigerator, I hope?

Anonymous said...

My first reaction: Where are the beets?

John said...

I've never really been fond of beets -- pickled or otherwise. Although when I was 12 I once made borsht.

The recipe said to just let it sit in lukewarm temperatures. I think that that would be the point of pickling -- that you don't need to refridgerate a product. But I guess we'll see in a month.

Anonymous said...

Room temperature?

Did your PPRC give you this recipe, by any chance?

John said...

I mentioned Tom Jackson's comment to my wife last night, who urged that I refridgerate the eggs -- which I did.

Unknown said...

awww, I thought maybe they were going to be "sun pickled eggs". you could wash them down with "sun tea" just before being hauled off "sun food poisoning"

John said...

Heh. No, they're outside in this picture because my cheap camera only works well in natural sunlight.

Anonymous said...

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING Eggs must be refigerated during the pickling process or you will probably get a good case of botulizim(sp)